Cannot write vietnamese in topic title :((

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
kay.nguyen

Cannot write vietnamese in topic title :((

Post by kay.nguyen »

Hello can someone help me with language problem???

I used phpbb 2.0.16, I can use vietnamese every where in the forum like message body, Forum index, introduction of each room etc..

However, I cannot use Vietnamese language in the topic title area of each post....

Can someone give me an advice ????
Nojiri

Re: Cannot write vietnamese in topic title :((

Post by Nojiri »

I'm having a similar problem. I have my default language set to Japanese, and Japanese characters show up just fine in the body of posts, but they only show up as "???????" when I try to use Japanese characters for Forum or Sub-Forum Titles. I'm using 3.0.4. When I enter the Japanese characters in creating the Forum Titles, they enter in okay, but as soon as I hit "Submit," they turn to "?????". Is there any way to get foreign language characters to show up in the Forum titles?

Thanks!
nojiri
CipriaN0

Post by CipriaN0 »

im having the same problem with Romanian language.

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xC5\x9F Cr\xC4...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

SQL

INSERT INTO phpbb_posts (forum_id, poster_id, icon_id, poster_ip, post_time, post_approved, enable_bbcode, enable_smilies, enable_magic_url, enable_sig, post_username, post_subject, post_text, post_checksum, post_attachment, bbcode_bitfield, bbcode_uid, post_postcount, post_edit_locked, topic_id) VALUES (3, 2, 0, '205.206.255.183', 1230319055, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, '', 'Re: Transferuri retur 2008-2009', 'Marian Iancu: "Eu sunt Moş Crăciun pentru cei din jurul meu"\n\nFinanţatorul Politehnicii Timişoara a declarat astăzi că le va face un cadou suporterilor bănăţeni: un nou antrenor pentru returul Ligii 1.\n\n Foto 1\n\nSursa foto: FORUM <!-- w --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.politimisoara.ro\">www.politimisoara.ro</a><!-- w -->\n\n"Eu sunt Moş Crăciun pentru cei din jurul meu, pentru foarte mulţi din jurul meu şi pentru familia mea. Imediat după sărbători le ofer şi suporterilor un antrenor cadou. Le urez tuturor doar sănătate, pentru că asta nu o găsim la magazin. Suntem mulţi oameni puternici financiar şi am putea să ne cumpărăm orice, numai sănătate nu", a spus Marian Iancu la InfoPro.', '868a0069023bd878c14b884b922db365', 0, '', 'irj4e99q', 1, 0, 8)

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 174
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/functions_posting.php
LINE: 1871
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

FILE: posting.php
LINE: 1001
CALL: submit_post()
espicom

Post by espicom »

kay.nguyen wrote:I used phpbb 2.0.16, I can use vietnamese every where in the forum like message body, Forum index, introduction of each room etc..
First piece of advice - you MUST update your software. Until you do, do NOT post a link to your forum, or it will get destroyed. I highly suggest you disable it until you have completed an update to at least version 2.0.23.

Your most likely problem is that v2 does not normally build the database with support for non-latin characters in subjects. This is one of the big changes in v3, so you may wish to consider an upgrade. At the very least, you will need to make sure that the topics table is set to UTF-8 encoding, although you will probably want to do this to all your tables.
I'm using 3.0.4. When I enter the Japanese characters in creating the Forum Titles, they enter in okay, but as soon as I hit "Submit," they turn to "?????". Is there any way to get foreign language characters to show up in the Forum titles?
Nojiri, you should ask this in the v3 support area, because the UTF-8 encoding used by version 3 in the database should handle the situation.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Nojiri had already posted a new topic in [3.0.x Support] later the same day.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1363525
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
Slackervaara

Post by Slackervaara »

I have seen this suggestion:

OPEN: lang_main.php

FIND: iso-8859-1

REPLACE WITH: utf-8

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... c#p1068839
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

Slackervaara wrote:I have seen this suggestion:

OPEN: lang_main.php

FIND: iso-8859-1

REPLACE WITH: utf-8

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... c#p1068839
If you will do this, you should change the encoding everywhere, that means change the encoding the language files are stored in, the ENCODING language key and the database.

I would suggest converting to phpBB3, where you do not have problems with special characters because of native Unicode support.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”