User registration/PM problems

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
newbuser

User registration/PM problems

Post by newbuser »

When users try to register, the page times out.

If they do not let the page time out, it will not set their password and I have to delete the member name and have them re-register.

Same thing happens while using PM, the page times out but the recipient "usually" gets the message.

phpBB 2.0.6
Apache 1.3.27
MySQL

Running on Win2K

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Same thing happens while using PM, the page times out but the recepient "usually" gets the message.
chad_cunningham

I am having same problem

Post by chad_cunningham »

I am having the same problem with the following setup
  • MySQL 4.0.13-max-debug
  • Win 2K server (IIS)
  • PHP 4.3.2
I have another server with the same setup except SQL server 2000 as the database, and I don't have this problem. If the user chooses to NOT agree with the terms, then goes to register again, there is no stall. If the user chooses I am under 13, there is no stall. Over 13 eventually produces this:

The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for processing. The server has deleted the process. (IIS)

I would also really appreciate some help on this.
newbuser

Post by newbuser »

Bump
chad_cunningham

CGI ERROR

After testing, this seems to be an issue with Internet Explorer. I never have this problem with Netscape or Opera.

Moderators: Any suggestions? Should I report this as a bug?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

The page times out--what is the exact error? I know of at least two possible errors.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
chad_cunningham

Re: I am having same problem

The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for processing. The server has deleted the process. (IIS)

I would also really appreciate some help on this.

The server log says:
The script started from the URL '/forum/profile.php' with parameters 'mode=register&agreed=true' has not responded within the configured timeout period. The HTTP server is terminating the script.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Sorry. I normally only look at the first and last posts in a topic before replying.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... imeout+iis and http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 012#248012 are all I can find.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Sorry. I normally only look at the first and last posts in a topic before replying.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... imeout+iis and http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 012#248012 are all I can find.
A Donut's Blog
chad_cunningham

newbuser wrote: Bump

What's this mean?
BarkerJr

Post by BarkerJr »

It means that newbuser expects all support requests be responded to within 12 hours. Very low attention span.
blueadmin

Post by blueadmin »

it is to raise awareness to a post, by raiseing it to the top of the list.
Ho Ho Ho merry christmas
You Stuck? Read this before askinghere and here
chad_cunningham

In that case...

...bump.

Other thoughts about this problem:
If a user visits any other link before clicking register, I am older than 13..., there is no timeout. Cookie issue?
BarkerJr

Post by BarkerJr »

Actually, COPPA (the law) stops people from collecting personally identifiable information about children under the age of 13. The under 13 is determined by taking reasonable precautions. So, there is no reason to block children from reading and posting as guest, because you aren't collecting personally identifiable information. The profile would be an example of what you are not allowed to collect on a child under 13 years old.
chad_cunningham

RE:

Regardless, the registration works fine if the user picks Under 13. It is if the user goes to the site (index.php) --> Register --> I'm Over 13, I get a timeout.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”