"REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION NOT SHOWING" topic has trojan?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
AsciiSector

"REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION NOT SHOWING" topic has trojan?

Post by AsciiSector » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:51 am

When I click on the (moved) topic with the subject "REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION NOT SHOWING", Avast jumps up with a trojan warning. I haven't visited the topic because of this. Is this just a false positive or is there something malicious in that topic?

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: "REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION NOT SHOWING" topic has trojan?

Post by ric323 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:42 am

The site referenced in that post does contain a trojan, and someone posted the trojan code itself between code tags to show what it is.
That means the trojan is totally harmless here, so Avast is triggering when it shouldn't.
(i.e. it is doing a simple pattern match on the whole page, without checking if the code could actually be executed.)
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

AsciiSector

Re: "REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION NOT SHOWING" topic has trojan?

Post by AsciiSector » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:43 am

I don't know if this is related, but Avast just warned me that it's found something suspicious with my ils.dll file. I haven't had any warnings for months and it seems quite a coincidence it's coming an hour after I get the trojan warning...

EDIT: Just did a full boot scan and Avast didn't find anything, so I guess I'm all clear. :)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”