Error: Couldn't obtain forum list

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
MisTerbrAin

Error: Couldn't obtain forum list

Post by MisTerbrAin »

When i try to set permissions for a forum (or see the list for pruning) then the error occurs:

Couldn't obtain forum list

What can I do to fix this? Its not a problem yet, but will become, as soon as i add a new forum, that shouldnt be read by everyone!

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Please forgive me for my insolence but it sounds like you don't have any forums yet? If not, after you create a forum, that message will go away.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

MisTerbrAin

Post by MisTerbrAin »

no, it isnt that easy :( (and im not that stupid ;) )

I got 13 forums in 4 categories yet - and 3 catgories (10 forums) are set for special groups

I can obtain the list of forums to, where I create or change forums, just cant set new permissions

Bear

Post by Bear »

Can you access your database? The error you are seeing is generally due to an inaccessible table or database. If you have phpMyAdmin, you may want to check (repair) the offending table.
Bear
Got a thing for fashion? So do we at the Fashion Spot.
Let us give you the Royal Treatment at Les Tribunes Royales.

MisTerbrAin

Post by MisTerbrAin »

thanks - just found one who knows to "repair" that cause i dont know much of php^^ - so thanks for the info!!

brain

merkeyman

Post by merkeyman »

That doesn't help me any. I'm getting this error too. And I've discovered that it only does it if you have more than one category. Anyone figure this one out?

merkeyman

Post by merkeyman »

Anyone? I really would like to know why I can't have more than one category and set permissions...

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

It seems there's some sort of problem with your database. If your forums are new and you have no old posts and topics I suggest you make a new install. I believe that's the easiest way to solve the problem.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

merkeyman

Post by merkeyman »

I completely reinstalled the whole thing. I droppped the database, created a new one, reinstalled phpbb. Still gives me the same error when I make more than one category. Seems to me like this is a bug. I checked my SQL version too. I'm running mySQL 3.23.49a and I selected mysql 3.x in the menu when setting phpbb up. I thought it might be that, but apparently it wasn't.

merkeyman

Post by merkeyman »

Any other ideas?

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

One possibility is that you are running an alpha/beta release of mysql. Those types of releases are not stable. Weird problems can result . . .

AL

Post by AL »

is the only error you get 'couldn't obtain forum list' ?? if so please enable debug mode ( http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13308 ) and then give us the full error.
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

merkeyman

Post by merkeyman »

Okay, here's the complete error as it appears:

General Error
Couldn't obtain forum list

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1 Can't create/write to file '/root/tmp/#sql5f3_c6_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13)

SELECT f.* FROM phpbb_forums f, phpbb_categories c WHERE c.cat_id = f.cat_id ORDER BY c.cat_order ASC, f.forum_order ASC

Line : 177
File : /home/matt/public_html/phpbb/admin/admin_forumauth.php

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Have you made any modifications to your file?

Just out of curiousity, why is mysql installed there?

AL

Post by AL »

try running that query manually and see what it returns.

Code: Select all

SELECT f.* FROM phpbb_forums f, phpbb_categories c WHERE c.cat_id = f.cat_id ORDER BY c.cat_order ASC, f.forum_order ASC 
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”