No Avatar option in profile

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
SheWuff

No Avatar option in profile

Post by SheWuff »

Your board's URL: www.fur4u.net
Version of phpBB2: 2.0.23
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? upgrade from free server
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? no
MODs you have installed:merge/split
When the problem started: 2 weeks
Your level of expertise (be honest): beginner

Template: Acid Tech Blood

A few members have brought to my attention that they can't upload an avatar in their profile, or change the one they uploaded back when they first joined. I went into my own profile as admin and there isn't anything there to upload an avatar. I know there was before but now it seems it's gone. I can upload avatars from the ACP, but not in the profile. The permissions in the config of the ACP says members are allowed to upload avatars, so that has been checked. I also went through my FTP and checked the avatar folders permissions which states 777. I have no idea why nobody can change their avatars, when we used to be able to. Has me rather stumped.
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Re: No Avatar option in profile

Post by ChrisRLG »

Sounds to me like a style issue.

Can you change your own profile back to the subsilver style and see if you can do it in that style - if so you will need to get support from the style author.

Also pease be aware this support forum for v2 will close on 1st January 2009 - you realy need to get updated to the later version and soon.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
SheWuff

Post by SheWuff »

It worked before on this style. Just within the last couple of weeks I've noticed this problem.
As for upgrading to version 3, I am not really comfortable doing it as I don't know what i am doing. IE: where to put everything as the board was a transfer and I have no idea what is up from down in my cpanel of the server. There was no phpbb2 folder in there. I really want to do this but I am totally green and fear of throwing things off way bad and losing it all. :oops:
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

By staying with a product we will NOT be supporting in the future you will be MORE at risk.

The conversion to v3 is non-distructive That means it does not alter the v2 files or DB in any way. It uses the data from them to create a duplicated DB and uses the files to copy any other objects it needs, such as avatars, rank and smilies.

The way I converted is I effectively cloned the data by doing a conversion, but left the old v2 board as the active board. I advised a selected few users to test the new v3 forums to see if we have any problems. When they were happy I did the conversion again and then turned off the v2 board.

If you want support to do a conversion to v3 you can get that in the v3 support forum.

Regarding your avatar problem, have you tried to change your own profile to using the standard subsilver style - do that first and then lets see if that fails.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”