Phpbb 2.0.22 Migration From Paid Hosting To Free Hosting

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Amarbir

Phpbb 2.0.22 Migration From Paid Hosting To Free Hosting

Post by Amarbir »

Mates ,
My Website is www.therepairmasters.com .I Had a Paid Account In Godaddy And i am Planning To Close The Paid Account As Its Ready For Renewal ,Infact The Renewal Date Has Already Passed . :lol: .I Am Wanting to migrate the entire forum to the free hosting they provide with the domain .I Have Done The Following

1 :Backing Mysql Database In Paid Hosting To My Local HDD
2 :Copied Entire Website Contents To My Local HDD

I Will Not Cancel The Paid Hosting ,Then Get The Free Hosting Ready ,Transfer The Files To The New Free Plan ,question is

1 :How Will i Restore The Database ,Will i have to create a database on the new free hosting with the Same Name And Do a Restore Or Just Do a Restore .
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Phpbb 2.0.22 Migration From Paid Hosting To Free Hosting

Post by ric323 »

You will need to create a databaase, and then do a restore into it.
Make very sure you backup file is complete first.

Have a look at this article: Knowledge Base - How to move a phpBB 2.0.x board to a new server

Also be aware, phpBB2 may not run correctly on many "free" services. As I recall, Godaddy run the free services inside an iframe so they can display ads across the top. This will interfere with phpBB's operation, particularly with the registration page.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
Amarbir

Post by Amarbir »

Well ,
In My Coutry its Called "Jo Dar Giya So Mar Giya " Means Who is Afraid Is Already Dead So i will give it a shot currently i am doing just this ,Once i am ok with the migration then i will port it to the latest version ,More questions on that later ,But it would be great if you could help me with a link to transfer 2.0.22 to 3.3.4

Regards

Amarbir S Dhillon
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

This is the install help file that comes in the download package:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INS ... ml#convert
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
Amarbir

Post by Amarbir »

Sir ,
I Copied everything To The new Free Hosting Godaddy Gave Me ,Then i Creted The Database With The Same Name As Earlier Database name ,I Also Kept The Password Same As Earlier One .Then i Restored The Database .I Then Editied The config.php File Also So That i Could Change The dbhost to reflect new host .I Am Still Not Able To Up My forum .Do i Need To Chmod and Edit Some Other Thingies Also .???? .Please Help .I Would Just Like To Get The Thing Up And Running And Then i will Migrate To New 3.0.4 Version ,Can i Migrate To New 3.0.4 Version Even Now As i Have The Database With Me :(
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

You have not described what happened when you tried to run your new board.
"I am not able to up my forum" does not give us any useful information.

Also, please do NOT capitilise the first letter of every word you write. That makes it very difficult to read, and violates rule-1g.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”