If your browser does not support meta redirection...

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
nineko

If your browser does not support meta redirection...

Post by nineko »

Hi, I just installed phpBB 2.0.23, I know it's deprecated et al, but for some reasons I'm not going to install phpBB3 and I kindly ask you to respect my choice. I have a question about phpBB 2.0.23's behaviour because there is something I don't like.

I've been using phpBB2 forums all the time, and they never had the "If your browser does not support meta redirection please click HERE to be redirected" message, yet it appears to be in my forum. Since it's quite annoying, not to mention pointless, I want to get rid of it, but I know almost nothing about php so I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction. I found something in the /includes/functions.php file, but I don't know what to do with it.
I would really be grateful if someone could help me. That's the only thing that prevents my forum from being awesome. I wouldn't mind to drop some money into someone's paypal account if needed. I realise I'm asking something about an obsoleted version and I'm not expecting much :(
Last edited by ric323 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
espicom

Re: If your browser does not support meta redirection...

Post by espicom »

Most likely cause: You are hosted on a Windows server, which sometimes won't perform proper redirections. The message is there to warn users when this might happen, so they can take action if it happens.

I have never seen this on a non-Windows server, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
nineko

Post by nineko »

Thanks for your reply :)

I "fixed" this by completely removing the IF block that caused the message to appear; the forum seems to perform redirections correctly in both Firefox and IE, so I guess it worked?
espicom

Post by espicom »

You are reasonably safe doing that nowadays; browsers that do not support meta redirects are very few. And, if they are using one, they deserve to get lost... ;)
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
nineko

Post by nineko »

Thanks again :)
Feel free to lock/trash/archive/whatever you do to resolved topics on this forum, I'm not very familiar here.

Since it's too late to wish you a merry christmas, let me wish you at least a good 2009 ;)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”