Mass Email problems, emailing 5000-6000 users

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
necron

Mass Email problems, emailing 5000-6000 users

Post by necron »

First, I have read the posts on mass email. And the problem is not the host, the problem is the code uses "BCC" to send the email in smtp.php. It was not designed to send more than a few dozens emails. So I to am getting the line 165 smtp.php error, which is simply a response limit from the server for a ridiculous 5000+ names in the BCC line.

I have my own server sitting right in front of me, I just sent 17,000 emails with my normal website's registered user database which I wrote myself, so there are no mail/smtp issues, I can send a billion emails out if I wish, I control everything. Now, I want to email all my "forum" users with the new product information, but Phpbb seems to be very limited in mass email. So, I need one of the following, so I don't have to write it myself:

1. A mod that can do proper mass emails, in other words, one email per user, queues them and sends them out 10 a second or so until the user database is sent, not something that uses BCC and tries to add 5000 names in the bcc line. I read something about "mega mail", but searched the site and it can't seem to find what I am looking for, specifically the mega mail mod, whatever it is.

2. A way to get every email address out of the forum without me going into the database tables and writing a query to extract them myself. I have looked in the admin controls and can't seem to find a simple "export emails or user list".

3. phpbb3 seems to have no added features in this area of mass emailing, and we aren't quite ready to upgrade yet, can't afford something to go wrong around xmas time with so much traffic, so not an option really.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Mass Email problems, emailing 5000-6000 users

Post by ric323 »

necron wrote:1. A mod that can do proper mass emails, in other words, one email per user, queues them and sends them out 10 a second or so until the user database is sent, not something that uses BCC and tries to add 5000 names in the bcc line. I read something about "mega mail", but searched the site and it can't seem to find what I am looking for, specifically the mega mail mod, whatever it is.
You can get Mega Mail from http://www.ktuk.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2362
2. A way to get every email address out of the forum without me going into the database tables and writing a query to extract them myself. I have looked in the admin controls and can't seem to find a simple "export emails or user list".
You can use the Admin Toolkit (link in my sig) to export the email addresses in a variety of formats.
3. phpbb3 seems to have no added features in this area of mass emailing, and we aren't quite ready to upgrade yet, can't afford something to go wrong around xmas time with so much traffic, so not an option really.
Yes it does. In the "email settings", there is a "package size" option which controls how many addresses are put into each email which is sent.
See: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... ient_email
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
necron

Re: Mass Email problems, emailing 5000-6000 users

Post by necron »

Thanks for the information.

So mega mail is the only option for mass mailing currently? No other mods?

Thanks,

joseph

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”