Topic ID/Post ID

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
sipster19

Topic ID/Post ID

Post by sipster19 »

I was browsing my forums, and I noticed that some topics numbers were missing. For example viewtopic.php?t=2 - viewtopic.php?t=8 exists, but viewtopic.php?t=9 doesn't. The topic used to exist but was deleted. So now it just skips #9 and goes to viewtopic.php?t=10. My question is how do I change the topics number so they are re-ordered correctly? I want it so viewtopic.php?t=10 is now viewtopic.php?t=9. But I looked in my database and have found quite a few topics have been deleted. Is there sql I could run or a modification I could install? I found one for changing the user id, but I couldn't find one for what I wanted to do. :|
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Topic ID/Post ID

Post by ric323 »

Why waste your time on such a pointless endeavour?
Not only would you have to carefully modify multiple locations to keep everything in synch, you would also cause havoc for google, which will suddenly be pointing to the wrong topics until it gets around to re-indexing your site, and it would break all exernal links people had to topics on your board.
It's perfectly normal for topic IDs to get deleted, and it happens on every bulletin board.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
sipster19

Post by sipster19 »

I just wanted to know if there was an easy way to do it. Like a change topic id mod or something.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

No, there is no easy way to do it.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”