Using mySQL5 with phpBB2

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
bigheadx

Using mySQL5 with phpBB2

Post by bigheadx »

Your board's URL: http://www.bellmatics.com/phpBB2/index.php?c=1
Version of phpBB2: 2.0.21
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? Past install
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB? No
MODs you have installed: None
When the problem started: N/A
Your level of expertise (be honest): Knows enough to get in trouble :roll:

Prior to upgrading to phpBB3 I am going to convert my database from mySQL4 to mySQL5. I have already dumped the mySQL4 data to a file and uploaded that file into a mySQL5 database. Everything looked good: same record counts, table counts, etc.

My question is: How do I "point" phpBB2 to the new mySQL5 database until I get the time to upgrade to phpBB3?

Once this is done successfully I intend to convert to phpBB3 a.s.a.p. I tried doing both at once and thoroughly confused myself and generated a bushel of SQL errors. :oops:

Thanks in advance!
JohnN
Dog Cow

Re: Using mySQL5 with phpBB2

Post by Dog Cow »

Do you know the name of the MySQL 5 database? If so, then open the phpBB 2 config.php file and type it in there.
bigheadx

Post by bigheadx »

Dog Cow wrote:Do you know the name of the MySQL 5 database? If so, then open the phpBB 2 config.php file and type it in there.
THANKS! That actually sounds like something I can figure out! :D
bigheadx

Post by bigheadx »

Dog Cow wrote:Do you know the name of the MySQL 5 database? If so, then open the phpBB 2 config.php file and type it in there.
:? My config.php file is empty on my PC and on the server. :shock:
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

bigheadx wrote:
It can't be empty on your server. or your board wouldn't be running.
It's actually pointless to convert your phpBB2 board to mysql5 before the conversion, as you have to make a new database for phpBB3 anyway. Just make a mysql5 database for the phpBB3 board, and it will just happen when you import the phpBB2 data at the end of the installation.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
bigheadx

Post by bigheadx »

Many thanks for your response! I was wondering, if I have already established a mySQL5 database containing the data from my old mySQL4 database, and I have successfully installed phpBB3, is it possible to just "point" phpBB3 at the mySQL5 database and not fuss with conversions and the like? (Sorry if this sounds dim, I am definitely a novice when it comes to all this.)
Or is that what you mean when you say: "Just make a mysql5 database for the phpBB3 board, and it will just happen when you import the phpBB2 data at the end of the installation." THANKS!
JohnN

ric323 wrote:
bigheadx wrote:
It can't be empty on your server. or your board wouldn't be running.
It's actually pointless to convert your phpBB2 board to mysql5 before the conversion, as you have to make a new database for phpBB3 anyway. Just make a mysql5 database for the phpBB3 board, and it will just happen when you import the phpBB2 data at the end of the installation.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

bigheadx wrote: I was wondering, if I have already established a mySQL5 database containing the data from my old mySQL4 database, and I have successfully installed phpBB3, is it possible to just "point" phpBB3 at the mySQL5 database and not fuss with conversions and the like?"
No.
phpBB3 stores the data quite differently to phpBB2. You can NOT skip the conversion step.
This reads from the phpBB2 database, and writes to the phpBB3 database, which is why I said it is pointless copying your phpBB2 data into a mySQL5 database first.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
bigheadx

Post by bigheadx »

ric323 wrote:
bigheadx wrote: I was wondering, if I have already established a mySQL5 database containing the data from my old mySQL4 database, and I have successfully installed phpBB3, is it possible to just "point" phpBB3 at the mySQL5 database and not fuss with conversions and the like?"
No.
phpBB3 stores the data quite differently to phpBB2. You can NOT skip the conversion step.
This reads from the phpBB2 database, and writes to the phpBB3 database, which is why I said it is pointless copying your phpBB2 data into a mySQL5 database first.
THANK YOU, that clears up quite a bit for me. Would you suggest I empty the SQL5 database or just delete it and create a new one? The conversion application populates the SQL5 database automatically?

Unfortunately, the "install" step produces the SQL General Error described in this post http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1383505 Here is the phpBB3 link that generates the error: http://www.bellmatics.com/phpBB3/instal ... anguage=en

Thanks again!
JohnN

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”