Hardware/OS Migration

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
zuminuk

Hardware/OS Migration

Post by zuminuk »

I have been running a PHPBB forum/portal on a gentoo server for over 4 years.
And the time has come for me me to upgrade the hardware. :?

I have also decided to move away from Gentoo and install Ubuntu.
- Rather than just rushing in and trying to reinvent the wheel can any offer me any advice, or point me to a relivent blog/forum.

Yes... I plan to migrate to phpbb3 once I have the site _successfully_ migrated.
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Re: Hardware/OS Migration

Post by ckwalsh »

So long as you correctly set up your folder permissions, and use a file and database backup from your original server, the transfer should go fine.

Just so you know, phpBB.com does not and cannot help you with setting up your new server to work with phpBB. I'll leave this topic open if you need any help with the transfer itself, but if the conversation turns to server configuration, don't be surprised when it is locked.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
espicom

Re: Hardware/OS Migration

Post by espicom »

Moving from Gentoo to Ubuntu isn't really changing operating systems, just packaging systems. Both are Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Just make sure that you migrate your configuration files for Apache, MySQL, and PHP for the site to the "new" server, and things should continue to act the same. Just remember that Ubuntu is going to try to make more of the decisions for you during the install than Gentoo did.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”