Disable Board - Inconsistent Search Results

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
TX858

Disable Board - Inconsistent Search Results

Post by TX858 »

Url: http://www.fragless.net/f2f/
Template(s) used: sub-silver
Any and all MODs: Watched_Topics, Restrict_Guest_Access
Do you use a port of phpBB: no
Version of phpBB: 2.0.5
Version of PHP: 4
Which database server and version: 2.33.25
Host: eDataRack
Did someone install this for you/who: me
Is this an upgrade/from what to what: no
Is this a conversion/from what to what: no
Have you searched for your problem: Yes and the information I found is inconsistent with User Guide.

I need to make some changes to my board and I don't want anyone logged in and using the board while I make the changes. So I <assume> the best thing for me to do is disable the board.

Questions:

1:

Am I correct to assume that there is no problem with disabling my board to make changes to some of the files? - never hurts to clarify the answers to stupid questions :)

2:

The User Guide says that I will not be able to login to re-enable my board if I logout after I disable it? A post I found on the subject says this was later changed. So should I not logout after disabling my board - or is it safe for me to logout?

3:

Is a specific page displayed when the board is disabled? I ask because I'd like to make visitors/members aware that the board is disabled while I work on it - and telling them when it will again be available. IF not, is there a workaround for this? Such as rename index.php to index.bak and put a simple index.htm file with my message to users in my forum folder?

Thanks!
blueadmin

Post by blueadmin »

you used the template :)

1. If you are editing the files offline, you should not need to disable the board, just edit them and upload the files. (make a backup) If you really don't want to, as far as I know an admin can acces the ACP when the board is disabled, if not you can just re-enable it via the database.

3. It should say
Sorry this board is currently disabled
you can change it, i cant remember where thoug, i think it is lang_main.php
Ho Ho Ho merry christmas
You Stuck? Read this before askinghere and here
Gremlinn
Name: Nathan

Post by Gremlinn »

I can confirm that you can disable the board, logout and come back later. You will be able to login if you are the admin and see the ACP.

Good luck.
TX858

Post by TX858 »

blueadmin wrote: you used the template :)

If you are editing the files offline, you should not need to disable the board, just edit them and upload the files. (make a backup) If you really don't want to, as far as I know an admin can acces the ACP when the board is disabled, if not you can just re-enable it via the database.

I am going to edit the files on my local box, but someone told me that uploading files while users are logged in can cause file corruption. I had done it before without a problem, but I thought maybe I'd just been lucky. What do you think - okay to upload changed files with the board in use?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”