Lost option 1 on all polls

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Chewy

Lost option 1 on all polls

Post by Chewy »

For some unknown reason all the Polls on my board have lost their first voting option. All today I believe. I've checked all of the ones I knew the first option of and it's gone. I've checked the database and it's gone there too.

Does anyone have an idea what might of happened, so I may prevent this in the future?

Thank you.
EV

Post by EV »

We've got weird things going on with our polls aswell. Options just disappearing.

One of our moderators just told me that the option that gets chosen least at the end of the day disappears .. (if you've set the poll to be open for more than 1 day). I haven't verified this yet but will do some testing.

Dreas
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

Yes, this happens to my board too. It started happening four days ago. Does anyone know what causes this?

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

Are you running 2.0.1? Did you edit the polls?
changelog in readme.html wrote: Fixed deletion of one or more options from all polls when editing just one
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

This problem started to occure before I upgraded to 2.0.1. And it happens to all kinds of polls, not only those with time limits. And it happens at what seems to be random and not when the poll is edited.
I think we are dealing with a bug in phpBB here.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
chAos
Former Team Member

Post by chAos »

possibly.

what do we do know? report it?
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

Read what Primedomain wrote, then look up the bug tracker, which personally I'm staying away from it for several days ... so I don't completely lose it closing what will no doubt be dozens of reports of old, already fixed bugs which people where too 'lazy' to read through before posting new ones :D

A bug existed whereby someone editing/deleting an option in one poll would result in the same option number being removed from all polls. This has been fixed in 2.0.1 ... confirm the problem still exists in 2.0.1 before reporting anything (think of it as helping my blood pressure stay low).
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

Okay. In my case this has occured to:
1) Any poll. I can't see any pattern to it.
2) It has happened by itself, it seems. The poll that have been affected haven't been edited.
3) The problem remains even after I upgraded to phpBB 2.0.1

I assume that this is not the bug that was fixed in the phpBB 2.0.1 release.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

What do you mean it remains ... do you mean new polls added since 2.0.1 was installed are suffering the same problem? Are you sure all files from 2.0.1 where installed? (check and double check).

As for 2) ... that's not what I said ... I said editing a poll (indeed any poll) would result in this happening. You didn't need to edit the poll concerned for this to occur.
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

The polls affected were created prior to the upgrade to phpBB 2.0.1. But the error has occured after I've installed phpBB2.0.1. I don't why that happens.
Anyway, I plan to make a clean 2.0.1 install and remod all files. I used the patcher the last time I upgraded but I'll try to mod it manually this time and see if that helps.

And, yes, I misunderstood you. Sorry, I guess I was reading too fast.

Thanks for helping.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

After you've 're-installed' (so to speak) keep an eye on polls to see if their options change/disappear. Any problems introduced by this bug prior to you upgrading will of course remain ... IOW if someone edited a poll before the upgrade it will still be affected after.
Kylecool

Post by Kylecool »

Yes, so make a new one after the upgrade, edit it, and it should be ok. :)

-Kyle 8)
VACATION UNTIL june 29TH or 30th. :)
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

Which tables were changes in phpBB 2.0.1? I need to compare the 2.0.1 schema with my database to make sure there aren't any discrepancies.

Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant »

I don't think the schema's changed. You just need the latest posting.php

I downloaded 2.01 but for some reason it contained a version of posting.php that still had this bug (7 Apr). Have just upgraded to 20 Apr version but it's too late - all the polls on my site have been ruined (and we had a lot of 'em) :(

As there could be others still out there with this potential problem, is it worth updating this thread to warn them?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”