Problems transfering Forum to another Host

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Marty_GSi

Problems transfering Forum to another Host

Post by Marty_GSi »

Plz. give me some advise.

Im am trying to transfere my forum to another host. (both runnign MYSQL 3.xxxx)

I have tried the following.

Backing up Database with the phpbb inforum option, (creates a 24mb file??? while phpmyadmin says database is only 10MB) But when i try to restore this database on the new host, i have alot of traffic, but after 5 minutes i get a 404 error. Nothing has then happend.

Tried copying entire databse with MYSQL-FRONT. This works but with teh large tables (phpbb_posts phpbb_posts_text etc) it doesnt coppy it fully... most of the times only half of it.

i can backup it with myphpadmin, but cant upload it with it on the new host.

I don't have shell acces (shared server)

I am runnign phpbb 2.06

any help is apreciated! i espacialy wonder why the downloaden .sql file is arond 24 MB???? probably why server times out on uploaden a backup of that size....

McLR

Post by McLR »

i have this problem too :oops:

zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Well, phpBB and phpMyAdmin use a different structure for the backup files. If you don't have shell access then perhaps your server admin is willing to restore the backup for you :-) If not you'll have to split the backup file into chunks not larger than 2MB and restore those piece by piece with phpMyAdmin.
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend

Marty_GSi

Post by Marty_GSi »

i Asked for them to do so in the first place... They refered me to MYSQL-FRONT. But that program givses troubles, works like a charm but only copys half of the large tables.

But then the problem is, i would never be able to restore a "selfmade" backup, becouse it times out on a file as large as that. I have been deleting alot of posts, now having somewhere around 8000 on the forum. And teh backup is still BIG. So never am i going to be able to restore it using the phpbb fucntion :cry:

McLR

Post by McLR »

zeroK wrote: Well, phpBB and phpMyAdmin use a different structure for the backup files. If you don't have shell access then perhaps your server admin is willing to restore the backup for you :-) If not you'll have to split the backup file into chunks not larger than 2MB and restore those piece by piece with phpMyAdmin.

what is shell access and how to use it ?!

Marty_GSi

Post by Marty_GSi »

read this

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=140

But that only works on dedicated servers... if you have a shared host.. then they wont let you play with telnet sessions :(

bigshew

Post by bigshew »

I tried using the PuTTY program but it does not let me login with my password. My domain is now pointed at the new servers and the only way to access the old host is with IP address.

I did notice when I try to restore a backup, it will allow me to restore an old backup but not the last two that I did before transferring service. I have not canceled my old hosting service as yet but to access the forums thru their servers by IP, it does not now allow me to do a backup. I did a backup thru their cpanel but it will not restore in my new host cpanel.

What else can be done?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”