index page (index.php) gets too big, how to split?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
virap

index page (index.php) gets too big, how to split?

Post by virap »

Hi i have about 250 forums all running phpbb and as a result the index page is large and annoying for dial up users to load. Is there any ways to split it into multiple pages. thanks!
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

That's something that the devs will have to answer. I know of no way off the top of my head to effectively split the index page without great modifications.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

one possibility would be sub-forums (not supported by current version 2.0.0, but on the task list for version 2.2).
heretic

250 forums?

Post by heretic »

It is hard to imagine how you run that many forums at one place. How do your users find which forum to join?
virap

split index page into multipages

Post by virap »

heretic every forum is linked from the appropriate category ( http://enotalone.com/c39s0.html for example, look the top navigation where it says "forum"...) and that's how they find the forum they need.

now i think i massed a little with bb and came up with simple yet working solution, not real one but works, see http://enotalone.com/forum/index.php

thank you everyone for your answers.[/url]
heretic

Post by heretic »

I have to say this is a disadvantage of phpBB, as it doesn't use "thread", like slashdot.org
Step aside everyone! Sensitive love letters are my speciality. "Dear Baby, Welcome to
Dumpsville. Population: you."
AL

Post by AL »

if i were doing this, i'd think of it like an address book. have all the letters of the alphabet as links, then click on a letter and it pulls the forums that start with that letter. this would mean extra coding, but in theory should work.
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”