This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
gravyplaya

Post by gravyplaya »

OK. I am having a problem with avatars not showin up in posts. THey show up fine in the users profile. I have searched through this forum and not found a solution to my problem. I have chmodd'ed the images dir and its subdirs to 777 and they still dont work. I even using the original files. with the default subsilver template. The avatars worked when I first installed phpbb but now they dont work. Please help.
eddy318

Post by eddy318 »

check on your admin cp -> General Congfiguration and see if avatar use is unable.
gravyplaya

Post by gravyplaya »

eddy318 wrote: check on your admin cp -> General Congfiguration and see if avatar use is unable.

Of course it checked. Try again.
Jools
Former Team Member

Post by Jools »

Could you please fill out the support request template so we have more details about your set up and any mods you might be running, in order to help you further, many thanks

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128123
Cheers
Julie :)
no support via PM
Knowledge Base
primedomain
Former Team Member

Re: Avatars yet again

Post by primedomain »

gravyplaya wrote: avatars not showin up in posts. THey show up fine in the users profile.

gallery:
You have to create subdirectories inside the /gallery directory (specified in Admin Panel --> General Admin --> Configuration). Upload the avatars to these subdirectories = categories.
gallery path: images/avatars/gallery (e.g.)

uploadable avatars:
Make sure that you have CHMODed the avatar uploading directory (specified in Admin Panel --> General Admin --> Configuration) to 777.
avatar upload path: images/avatars/uploads (e.g.)

path settings:
make sure that the directories actually exist on the server (you might have to create them with your ftp client) and that your path settings are correct (pay attention to slashes):
domain name: www.domain.com or subdomain.domain.com
script path: /forum/

Guide to Avatars
gravyplaya

Post by gravyplaya »

My problem isnt with the gallery. Thats the lest of my problems. I just want proples avatar to show up in their posts.. I will be OK if I can just do that. People can upload thier avatars just fine they just arent displayed in the posts.
primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

that's a path problem. Double check your path settings (see above).
letmeinforgodsake

Post by letmeinforgodsake »

If you right click on one of the avatars and select properties, does it show the correct path and name.

If it does, make sure that folder is CHMOD readable to the world
gravyplaya

Post by gravyplaya »

letmeinforgodsake wrote: If you right click on one of the avatars and select properties, does it show the correct path and name.

If it does, make sure that folder is CHMOD readable to the world

Um there are no avatars to click on cuz they arent showing up.
gravyplaya

Post by gravyplaya »

primedomain wrote: that's a path problem. Double check your path settings (see above).

that didnt work either.
letmeinforgodsake

Post by letmeinforgodsake »

Yes but there should be a red X or something there ?

When you uploaded the phpBB, did you set write access for people to save, and did you check what the other folders are now, if they are not readable (World) nothing will show
I have chmodd'ed the images dir and its subdirs to 777 and they still dont work

oh, you did that, well try renaming the folder to something else, then add a new one, then make it write enable, if it was working, and no mods have been done, then this is starting from fresh
cofee_iv

Post by cofee_iv »

Is this by chance in the Play theme? I am having the same problem in Play. It must be in the code. The ranks also don't work. I would love to get this resolved. Any ideas, anyone? I've already email the author, but he/she won't respond.

Ruth
gravyplaya

Post by gravyplaya »

No red X. just dosent come up. I have no mods on and its a brand new install of ver 2.0.6
OmnipotentEntity

Post by OmnipotentEntity »

It might be a server policy, it happened with me too. Some hosts turn off certain php commands. Your's probably turns off the one nessecary to upload avatars. You can ask them. I forget what the command is called, but it's among my first posts here, just click find all posts by me and go to the end.
gravyplaya

Post by gravyplaya »

OmnipotentEntity wrote: It might be a server policy, it happened with me too. Some hosts turn off certain php commands. Your's probably turns off the one nessecary to upload avatars. You can ask them. I forget what the command is called, but it's among my first posts here, just click find all posts by me and go to the end.

The avatars upload fine and I see the newly uploaded ones in the dir. They just dont display in user posts.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”