Failed sending email ::PHP:: - Line 234 - Update?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
jackbox

Failed sending email ::PHP:: - Line 234 - Update?

Post by jackbox »

Having done a search, I've found many threads about people using 2.0.6 and having issues with Mass Email. I am also getting the same error as everyone else...
Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : /home/websites/dc/htdocs/includes/emailer.php

Non of the threads have any real solutions? Why isn't phpBB taking this widely reported issue more seriously? Or perhaps they are?

Edit: Just to repeat what others have said: a) Yes all other mail features work b) Yes I tried putting "localhost" in SMTP area c) Yes I tried reuploading the files.

Edit 2: The only "official" fix suggested has been to reupload 2.0.5 files 8O
Be sure to submit your forum to...
www.ForumZilla.com
desolator58

Post by desolator58 »

I have this problem too.
Which sucks.
Do you host on your computer, I do, and have that exact same problem.

Could someone please answer.

Thanks desolator
sc2_ct

Post by sc2_ct »

I've apparently got it worse than you then, I have no email functions whatsoever. I have the sendmail path set correctly according to phpinfo(), I've tried localhost, I've tried the 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 files, I've tried the pop.xxx.com and IP for the smtp server, I've even tried the beta files on the sourceforge site and modifying the files. The solution I am exploring now is getting a different hosting company :lol:. Good luck, I've been banging my head on the wall for almost a week on this one :)
jackbox

Post by jackbox »

Nope I host with a professional hosting company, all email functions work, mass email worked fine before upgrade to 2.0.6, sendmail set correctly in php.ini (which is demonstrated by the fact other emails are sent), etc... etc...

This is obviously a bug... :?
Be sure to submit your forum to...
www.ForumZilla.com
debugme

Post by debugme »

:idea:
If you comment out line 234 in this file, it will work. If you know that your previosly sendmail was working that is.

regards,
claÜs
liqid touch

Post by liqid touch »

debugme wrote: :idea:
If you comment out line 234 in this file, it will work. If you know that your previosly sendmail was working that is.

regards,
claÜs

can you explain this in a laymens way for me?
im still unlearned to PHP functions
i never seem to have enough time to brush up with it
ClubEXL.com Streaming 24- 7
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

that will not solve the problem, it just keeps the error message from showing up I think.

what it means it to go to that file, find that line of code and put // at the beginning of the line, that way the script will ignore whatever is on that line.

robert
liqid touch

Post by liqid touch »

flogger12 wrote: that will not solve the problem, it just keeps the error message from showing up I think.

what it means it to go to that file, find that line of code and put // at the beginning of the line, that way the script will ignore whatever is on that line.

robert

would this still allow the mail to be sent out?
because mine is not going out to the members although the DIRECT PER PERSON emila function does work

its just the MASS mail that does not
ClubEXL.com Streaming 24- 7
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

as far as I know, that little "fix" has no affect on what the email does, it just supresses the error message so you won't know that it is not working.

some people don't need the email to work, so they just fix it so they don't have to see the error message.

I don't know why your email are not going out, if this just started, it most likely is something that your host has changed or updated. That is, unless you have made some changes to something.,

try this,
go into your admin panel, and turn off smtp mail and empty the boxes, see if it works, if not, turn it back on and try all combinations of username/password you can .
try localhost for the smtp server, try your domain 's smtp server, your ISP smtp server, etc. with and without username and/or password, etc.

can't hurt.

robert
Cygnostik

I noticed this...

Post by Cygnostik »

After I had changed the viewtopic.php to prevent break-ins via the recent hole found to find this error coming up upon posting.

I just changed the configuration to send mail via SMTP and it works like a charm now.
nickdrums

Post by nickdrums »

I have had this problem. It seemed to be caused by having an admin email address set of the form:

John Doe<[email protected]>

and was solved by going back to the form:

[email protected]

Any help?

:D
cretur

Post by cretur »

flogger12 wrote: that will not solve the problem, it just keeps the error message from showing up I think.

robert

Worked for me, I kept getting the error even though the message was still sent. I just commented it out and went on with my business. But I will like to know w areal fix for it when it is available
Woodland Creature

Post by Woodland Creature »

General Error: Failed sending email ::PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line: 234

File: /var/www.html.discussion/includes/.emailer.php

We are running version 2.0.11

Our email, notifications etc seem to be working fine. A user has reported a single instance of the above occuring after they posted a message in a forum. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Woodland Creature on Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opy

The code

Post by Opy »

Line 234 in emailer.php is:

Code: Select all

message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Failed sending email :: ' . (($this->use_smtp) ? 'SMTP' : 'PHP') . ' :: ' . $result, '', __LINE__, __FILE__);
Commenting that out has had odd effects so far.

Surrounding text is:

// Did it work?
		if (!$result)
		{
			message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Failed sending email :: ' . (($this->use_smtp) ? 'SMTP' : 'PHP') . ' :: ' . $result, '', __LINE__, __FILE__);
		}

return true;
	}
There are numerous 'message_die' calls through out the file.

I'm on phpBB 2.0.11
People get the same error when they submit registration. After commenting the line out, Registration doesn't seem to be working at all.
collinc

Post by collinc »

I had the same problem on a windows host.

Found that the problem can be fixed by added this line to the begining of the emailer.php file.

ini_set('sendmail_from','[email protected]');

In this case, the admin of the board or a "[email protected]" would work.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”