I am new! I do not know where to start! Please help!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
yexusbeliever

I am new! I do not know where to start! Please help!

Post by yexusbeliever »

Hello. I am beginner and stuck. I see that it is so fun making forums. I want to make one of my own. And so I got a free account with www.geocities.com. I hope that it does not require me to pay for a full unlimited memory website to do this. I just want something in a small scale, not big like this forum in here.

Ok. I read the instruction on how to install. But with my lacking computer knowledge and termonology, I do not understand what I am reading. Can someone help me build a forum in www.geocities.com??? and show me where to go and what to do????
DragonBane

Post by DragonBane »

Geocities does not support PHP or MySQL databases. The only free one available is lycos, and lycos, in my opinion, sucks.
Free Your Mind.
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

DragonBane wrote: Geocities does not support PHP or MySQL databases. The only free one available is lycos, and lycos, in my opinion, sucks.

Thank you...I will give a try with Lycos...but what is the support of PHP an MySQL databases?
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

DragonBane wrote: Geocities does not support PHP or MySQL databases. The only free one available is lycos, and lycos, in my opinion, sucks.

Thank you...I will give a try with Lycos...but what is the support of PHP an MySQL databases?
DragonBane

Post by DragonBane »

PHP is the web language in which phpBB is coded in... PHP support would be the support of PHP's syntax... MySQL is the database which holds all of the information from the forum. Support of MySQL would be the fact that the webhost has a MySQL database available for you to use.

Uhh... I confuse myself sometimes.
Free Your Mind.
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

DragonBane wrote: PHP is the web language in which phpBB is coded in... PHP support would be the support of PHP's syntax... MySQL is the database which holds all of the information from the forum. Support of MySQL would be the fact that the webhost has a MySQL database available for you to use.

Uhh... I confuse myself sometimes.

Thank you. Well. I do seem very much like a computer illerated...because I am. I just know how to surf the net. I do not understand the codings and things behind the making of websites. But I want to learn.
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Ok. It seems like Lycos does not want to give free. They are still requesting for a credit card # for payment when there is none to be paid.
DragonBane

Post by DragonBane »

Hrm, they shouldn't. Are you sure you chose the free site option? They do have payable website services, which is what I think you may have gone to.
Free Your Mind.
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

DragonBane wrote: Hrm, they shouldn't. Are you sure you chose the free site option? They do have payable website services, which is what I think you may have gone to.

Yes....but it seems to give me my own domain.. Like I can get www.yexusbeliever.com...my own domain, which is unusual because other free web builder sites do not have that.

What do you think? Try other free sites?
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Alright. It seems cool now. I do not know why, I click at the same place and get the weird option of making my own domain. But now I click again, and I get to the no payment offer. I only sign up for membership. Not for a website or anything.
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Ok I see the free option for building a website with lycos now.
Last edited by yexusbeliever on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josefbugman

Post by josefbugman »

To be honest, scrape together $4 a month and goto www.totalchoicehosting.com

Nothing is ever free.

Bugman
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

josefbugman wrote: To be honest, scrape together $4 a month and goto www.totalchoicehosting.com

Nothing is ever free.

Bugman

Cool! I will do that when I get some income.
DragonBane

Post by DragonBane »

You lie, I got my webhosting for free. :)

But it was because he is my friend.
Free Your Mind.
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

DragonBane wrote: You lie, I got my webhosting for free. :)

But it was because he is my friend.

dang!

I got to the part where I can get a free personal homepage...and making it, but there is no upload. This means that I can not upload the files into the manager storage.

Sorry...I found it...It is not like Geocities.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”