Having to log in twice

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
TeamKore

Having to log in twice

Post by TeamKore »

Ok....I did a search and found all kinds of previous issues on log in problems but didn't seem to find this anywhere.

I am using version 2.0.4

According to the others on my forum, none of them are having this problem just me. I am the admin of the site and when I try to log in, it will never work the first time. It just takes me back to the screen that anyone would see going to the forum. If I go and log in again, it works. I have to log in twice every time. Any suggestions?

Brando

Post by Brando »

yea...I got a suggestion....it's definately your cookies...fix em...

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=69

TeamKore

Post by TeamKore »

No...I dont think cookies will have anything to do with it. I am not trying to do the automatic login. My cookies are enabled to be able to do that. I just dont. What Im talking about is when I go to the site....from any computer....I have to go through the log in process twice before I can get logged in.

In otherwords, I click on log in...enter my user name and password and click submit, and I am not logged in just taken back to the first screen. Then I click on Log in again and enter my name and password and click submit...and Im good to go. Thats the problem I am having.

Alan

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion »

Actually this is nearly always cookie related.

Please reply filling out the Support Request Template, and also post your Cookie Settings in Admin Panel -> Configuration (Cookie Domain, Name and Path).

Brando

Post by Brando »

TeamKore wrote: No...I dont think cookies will have anything to do with it. I am not trying to do the automatic login. My cookies are enabled to be able to do that. I just dont. What Im talking about is when I go to the site....from any computer....I have to go through the log in process twice before I can get logged in.

Admin Panel -> General Admin -> Configuration -> and edit your cookie settings...read the knowledge base link I gave you....I am a tech support at a hosting company and almost 80% of the forums I work on have there cookies set wrong (very sad :cry: )...whether it be phpbb or ipb....and that is the sympton when phpbb cookies are set wrong, you have to log in twice....

TeamKore

Post by TeamKore »

Nice...I enabled cookies and now I cant get to the page. Great fix. Now what? Now I cant log in at all. I get sent to a cannot find server page.
Last edited by TeamKore on Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

TeamKore

Post by TeamKore »

URL: www.teamkore.com/phpBB2/index.php
Template(s) used: silver (the standard one unmodified)
Any and all MODs: None
Do you use a port of phpBB: 80
Version of phpBB: 2.0.4
Version of PHP: ???
Which database server and version: MySql 3.x
Host: websitesource.com
Did someone install this for you/who: I did the install setup (program was already at the web site though)
Is this an upgrade/from what to what: No
Is this a conversion/from what to what: No
Have you searched for your problem: Yes
If so, what terms did you try: Log in
State the nature of your problem: See above posts
Do you have a test account for us: no

TeamKore

Post by TeamKore »

Why do I get the uneasy feeling I am now going to have to reset my database? I am working a graveyard tonight, hopefully someone can tell me how to fix the new problem since I enabled the secure cookies since I thought that was what someone said to do.

HELP!!!

Alan

Brando

Post by Brando »

Umm...who said enable secure cookies? You need to fix your path to the script, domain, and the name of the cookie should be different too....

Now go into phpMyAdmin, click on the phpbb_config table, then scroll down to cookie_secure, and click the little pad with a pencil to edit it, and change the 1 to a 0

:roll:

Brando

Post by Brando »

TeamKore wrote: Nice...I enabled cookies and now I cant get to the page. Great fix. Now what? Now I cant log in at all. I get sent to a cannot find server page.

BTW...cookies are ALWAYZ enabled in phpBB....how do you think it remembers when you've logged in and such...you need to edit the script path, domain name, and cookie name

Brando

Post by Brando »

alright, here's your correct settings:

Cookie Domain: .teamkore.com
Cookie Name: team_kore (or whatever you want, something unique without spaces)
Cookie Path: /phpBB2
Cookie Secure: Disabled
Session Length: 3600 for default will do just fine

Merry Christmas....

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion »

The above cookie settings are correct, with Cookie Path: /phpBB2/

TeamKore>> No you don't have to do everything over. The following query will reset your cookie secure back to disabled.

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 0 WHERE config_name = 'cookie_secure';

TeamKore

Post by TeamKore »

I was, after I dunked my head in the snow and cooled down, able to look at this post again and get things fixed. I have yet to tackel the needing to log in twice problem again yet but I am back up and running. And, in another post, finally figured out how to direct my board to a seperate database. Which is also a good thing. Brando, I thank you for your help and apologize if I was a little rude sounding (is that possible on the net?) in previous posts. Was just not a good day for me yesterday. Such is the time of year.

Merry Christmas all if you celebrate it. Otherwise, merry or happy whatever.

Alan

CTCNetwork
Former Team Member

Post by CTCNetwork »

Hi,

Interesting subject. I was having the same issue as TeamKore. Looked through, at the answers....

Ok I thought, so I cleared my forum cookies from my browser (FireBird), changed the domain settings and cookie details and qapplied. Here I crossed my fingers and logged out! Closed that browser session and went in again and logged into my forum - first time . . . :D

What I did notice was that I was logged in as my user name AND there was a guest in the forum with the same IP address! ! !

I have missed something else here?? As I have seen this happening quite frequently...

Also, I find that the "Log Me On Automatically Each Visit" check box is selected by default??? Not what I would want . .

However. . . Great Team you all are - Merry Christmas to you all . . :o)
Density:- Not just a measurement~Its a whole way of Life.! ! !
| Welcome! | RTFM!!! | Search! It's Easy! | Problem? | Spam? | Advice! |

Natan

Post by Natan »

CTCNetwork wrote: What I did notice was that I was logged in as my user name AND there was a guest in the forum with the same IP address! ! !

I have missed something else here?? As I have seen this happening quite frequently...

I had this problem as well. However, I recently installed the Topic in Who is Online MOD which changed the refresh rate to much faster somehow, and now I don't have that issue any longer.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”