registering users?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
juliekate

registering users?

Post by juliekate » Sun May 05, 2002 6:46 pm

Hi all,

I got the board up and running but it won't register new users, it simply returns you to the main board without an error. I think my permissions are ok. I went through the general config in the admin panel and the only thing I can see that's relevant is the "enable account activation."

It doesn't work with it on USER or NONE.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
juliekate

(PS - If I want to change my admin username, do I have to reinstall the board? I enabled username changes but again it's the same result as above.)

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Sun May 05, 2002 8:54 pm

Could a mod please move this to the support forum?

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Sun May 05, 2002 10:29 pm

I'm sorry! I thought I was in the support forum.

My apologies...

jk

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Mon May 06, 2002 1:32 am

I wonder if someone could at least give me a direction to go in...have you ever heard of this problem?

thanks,
juliekate

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Mon May 06, 2002 9:28 am

Is this a fresh install? Is it phpBB 2.0.0 or is it any of the RC versions?

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Mon May 06, 2002 12:23 pm

Fresh install...let me ask something. if I had the wrong permissions on my directory, when someone tried to login, wouldn't they get a critical error about not being able to update the user's table? I'm not getting this error. I'm presuming that's not the issue...

zoid

Post by zoid » Mon May 06, 2002 12:26 pm

Too strict permissions on the directory do not affect the database.

Alexander
Whatever you want to know, please do a Image Search before asking :).

Run your own Chatcommunity
>> PINO - Client/Server Chat for Windows <<

Braddock

Getting Close

Post by Braddock » Mon May 06, 2002 3:36 pm

I have the exact same problem and did post on this subject but I think I'm close to finding the problem. I did exactly what you did installed a fresh version of phpBB v2. I was able to add my admins etc. Then I downloaded and installed a new theme. After I installed the new theme my users were unable to register. So I went back to the default them and everything worked fine.

The theme I used was "phpVB2". I'm pretty sure the problem is within this theme, possibly missing file or something. I'm in the process of trying to track it down.

If anyone else knows how to fix this problem or could provide some insight into it I would appreciate it.

heretic

user activation ...

Post by heretic » Mon May 06, 2002 3:55 pm

This may sound trivial, but did you try to activate the new account?
Step aside everyone! Sensitive love letters are my speciality. "Dear Baby, Welcome to
Dumpsville. Population: you."

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Mon May 06, 2002 4:37 pm

That might make sense, since I'm using DarkEQ as my theme.

I wish I could test it today but my stupid firewall won't lemme thru my shell account to delete the php_auth_access tables that are keeping me from reinstalling.

AL

Post by AL » Mon May 06, 2002 6:56 pm

if you have installed a different theme, and are having problems of any kind, the best thing to do is override the default style back to subSilver and see if the problem still exists. if the problem goes away it's something with the template, and you need to ask in the styles forum for the fix.

good luck!
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Tue May 07, 2002 2:44 am

update:

I dropped the tables! I reinstalled! I recreated the forum successfully! I could register a new user with subSilver!

I switched to DarkEQ as default (and chose "override") and could not register.

I switched back to subSilver and still can't register.

I can't believe I may have to go through all that crud again and stick with subSilver (not that it's not nice, but DarkEQ is perfect for my site!!)

Any developers wanna take a whack at this?

AL

Post by AL » Tue May 07, 2002 4:17 am

ok... so with subsilver you can't register...

do you have debug mode enabled as discussed previously? if so please give the entire error message you get when you try and register (should give you the query that failed)
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Wed May 08, 2002 2:07 am

I enabled debug mode and I'm not getting an error, it just returns me to login and claims I never registered. I'm using a unique valid email. Is there somewhere specific I need to look for the command that is not making it through?

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Wed May 08, 2002 2:52 am

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”