AOL users can't see confirmation code

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
rbasting

AOL users can't see confirmation code

Post by rbasting »

I searched for an answer, but nothing came up.

I have had two AOL users so far tell me they can't register because they don't see the built-in confirmation code generator. One user then tried IE and it worked without issue.

Is this a known problem, and if so, is there a solution?

Thanks.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

You're the first person to report this, to my knowledge. Is this phpBB's visual confirmation, or some other 3rd party MOD?
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

AOL's e-mail client often wraps the activation link to two lines, but only the first line is a hyperlink and usually not the complete hyperlink. When this happens they need to cut and paste the complete address into their web browser.
rbasting

Post by rbasting »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote: You're the first person to report this, to my knowledge. Is this phpBB's visual confirmation, or some other 3rd party MOD?

It is phpBB's built-in confirmation code.
rbasting

Post by rbasting »

SteveC wrote: AOL's e-mail client often wraps the activation link to two lines, but only the first line is a hyperlink and usually not the complete hyperlink. When this happens they need to cut and paste the complete address into their web browser.

I don't think you are understanding the issue. It is not the confirmation e-mail they receive to activate the account. I have it set to Admin activation.

This is when they click on 'I Agree' and are taken to the registration screen, where you put in the userid, password and e-mail address. They cannot see the grayed out code that is generated to stop automated robot account creation.
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Ah yeah, I guess I should have read that more closely. AOL's built in web browser can be very picky about properly formatted code which is weird because it's basically IE (unless they finally changed to Nutscrape in 9.0).
rbasting

Post by rbasting »

Anyone got a suggestion??
rbasting

TTT

Post by rbasting »

computersOC

Post by computersOC »

That isn't built in. What mod are you using?
http://www.computersOC.com - overclocking, P2P, broadband tweaks, ISP forums, more... Computer Building Help -- Overclocking Guide

Want us to install you a phpBB board or update your current one? Want mods/anti-spam mods installed? Moving to a new host? Check us out here.
rbasting

It IS the built-in code...

Post by rbasting »

Meaning, it's the code that was included with the 2.06 release of PHPBB in the /contrib/ folder with the phpBB distribution.

I consider that built-in even though it's technically a mod.
rbasting

Still nothing??

Post by rbasting »

Can't anybody research this?

The website is connemarahoa.com if anyone with AOL can check to see if they can see the confirmation code when registering.
rbasting

Post by rbasting »

ttt
KHS

Post by KHS »

I'm astonished by the dates of this thread.

I've just installed 2.0.11 and within a few hours I've had 2 complaints from people who are connected to the Internet via AOL and complain that they can't register an account on my forum becuase the Confirmation Code on the Registration screen is either blank or full of xxx's.

This is obviously a major issue. I can't believe that others are not experiencing this on a VERY regular basis.
cybrid3

Post by cybrid3 »

Just tried with 7 AOL 9.0 accounts...Works just fine.

What exactly are you seeing?
--Never leave home without a towel and peril sensitive sunglasses!!
tbartold

Post by tbartold »

This is a pretty frequent problem on our board also. I've got used to simply telling the users to use a different browser in order to register. So there's a simple, if annoying, work-around. If any one knows of a real solution, I'd like to hear it.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”