Help Restoring Database

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Holly Gilmore

Help Restoring Database

Post by Holly Gilmore »

I just moved to a new host and I want to reinstall my phpbb. I backed up the database several times before I moved and I have just reinstalled phpbb 2.0.5. Do I just go to the admin panel and restore the database or do I need to reupload all the old files from my forum and then restore it?
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

in the phpbb_db_backup.sql file it says
Dump of tables for blahmahg_db1

My new database at my new host is called hgilmore_db1. Do I need to change the .sql file?
tazman998

Post by tazman998 »

Holly Gilmore wrote: in the phpbb_db_backup.sql file it says
Dump of tables for blahmahg_db1

My new database at my new host is called hgilmore_db1. Do I need to change the .sql file?

Nope... you should be able to import it just fine.
Unless you had some mod's (modifications) installed on the board or templates.
I advise Installing the board first, then install any mod's (modifications) and templates you had on the old board.
After that... import the old database.
What we do in life... Echoes in eternity !!!
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

I tried uploading all the old files from my forum that I had saved on my computer. All the edited ones with mods and templates. And then when I tried to restore the database it said it couldn't find /forum/admin/install/install.php But, as far as I can tell, there was no install directory or .php file in the admin directory.

None of my mods involved creating a directory in admin called 'install', so I don't know what it's looking for.

I don't know what's wrong. :(
tazman998

Post by tazman998 »

Just uploading the old files, won't do !
You need a config.php file with the correct database information.
Normally this file is created during the installation of the board.

Are you sure the modifications didn't change anything in the database ? (like adding or modifying a table).
If not... then it would be ok to just copy them over ! (After the config.php file has been created).
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

I think that only one mod altered the database. It was a Hidden Poll Results mod.

Do I just apply the changes in phpmyadmin that it says to in the install guide for that hack and transfer the rest of the files over?

And Can I just transfer all my old forum files over except for config.php or won't that work?
tazman998

Post by tazman998 »

Just tried it myself to check if it would indeed work.
It does ! (and i have my share of mod's :wink: )

Ok... you should be able transfer all files over.
But you need the config.php file.
What i suggest is reinstalling the board and then deleting everything except the config.php file.
then upload your old board (except the config.php) to the new location.
after that... restore the database using phpmyadmin.
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

I uploaded all the old files (except config.php) and then I tried to go to my forum and it said
Warning: init_userprefs(././includes/lang_extend_mac.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 256

Warning: init_userprefs(): Failed opening '././includes/lang_extend_mac.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 256

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php:256) in /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 476

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php:256) in /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 478

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php:256) in /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 479

And then I tried to go to the admin panel and it said
Warning: init_userprefs(./.././includes/lang_extend_mac.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 256

Warning: init_userprefs(): Failed opening './.././includes/lang_extend_mac.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 256

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php:256) in /home/hgilmore/public_html/forum/includes/functions.php on line 798

I don't know what lang_extend_mac.php is. It's not in the old files and it's not in the original phpbb 2.0.5 files that I downloaded from this site.
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

I tried to restore the database by importing the php_db_backup.sql file in phpmyadmin like it says to in one of the Knowledge Base tutorials, but It keeps giving me this error:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php on line 77

:( I don't know what to do. I soooooooo don't want to lose my old forum. :cry:
tazman998

Post by tazman998 »

No such file or directory

Did you make sure that all the files are uploaded correctly and are in the correct folder ?
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

Ok, I did a search on my computer for lang_extend_mac.php and found it. I uploaded it and it makes the forum and admin panel viewable at least.

Now to try restoring the database...
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

:roll: It said 'No file was uploaded'. Why?
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

My database backup is about 9.5MB is that too big for phpbb admin to upload?
I tried to do it in phpmyadmin and it always says it exceeded the maximum execution time.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Holly Gilmore wrote: My database backup is about 9.5MB is that too big for phpbb admin to upload?
I tried to do it in phpmyadmin and it always says it exceeded the maximum execution time.

yes, 9.5MB is too big... split it into 1MB files... I'm too lazy to find the link, but basically, you open up the backup file in your favorite text editor, find where a semicolon (";") is, and you copy + paste it into another named file... then you upload each individual one using phpMyAdmin...
Holly Gilmore

Post by Holly Gilmore »

Ok, I split it into 9 .sql files and imported them using phpmyadmin... now what do I do? It didn't seem to change anything. :( It said they were all executed successfully but I don't know if I need to do something else to get it to work.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”