Hide /index.php

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Petold

Hide /index.php

Post by Petold »

Hi all. I've tried to find an answer to my problem by searching the forum but didn't found any posts (which i'm sure is out there somewhere :oops: ).
Anyway....

I have the url to my phpbb-forum like this: <url>/forum/index.php
Now, if a user removes the index.php, the browser will show the tree strucure of the forum with all folders and files. Can't I just have the URL like this <url>/forum/ and the login page will show?

Please help me. I know that this should be easy to fix. I hope you understand my problem.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Well, with my forums, mine is/was

http://members.lycos.co.uk/amnhobbit/phpBB2, with no /index.php at the end. I think by default when you install phpBB, the index page should automatically come up even if you put the whole URL in minus the /index.php.
Petold

Post by Petold »

well, thats the problem. The index page isn't shown automatically when I extract the /index.php. :(
Flaming_cows

Post by Flaming_cows »

Are you running apache? If so, you can make a file .htaccess file that looks like this:

Code: Select all

DirectoryIndex index.php
To make a .htaccess file, just make a new text document in notepad, put the above text in, and then rename it as ".htaccess" (without quotes) and the upload it to your phpBB directory. If Windows balks at letting you rename a file to start with a period, you can upload the file under a different name, and rename it with your FTP client.
Petold

Post by Petold »

Yepp, Ive solved it. Forgot to put in index.php in httpd.conf in the DirectoryIndex. Thx Flaming_cows

//Petold

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”