install trouble

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
yellowdotz

install trouble

Post by yellowdotz »

when i change config.php attribute (manual) to 666 i get a messege saying:

[config.php]
COMMAND:> SITE CHMOD 666 config.php
500 'SITE CHMOD 666 config.php': command not understood

can anyone help me resolve this.

also

DSN: IS THAT THE IP # OR JUST THE SITE NAME?
Your Database Username: is that the same user name i use for my ftp login?
Database password: is that the same password i use to sign in ftp ?

any help would be appreciated thanks. :D
Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion »

Your site is probably on a windows host, if that is the case ignore the CHMOD commands (they are generally for *nix).
Still go ahead with the installation - if the installer can't write to it, you will be prompted to download it, whereafter you can upload it to your forum folder.

You need to create a DB to install the forum to.
You need to create a database, (whose name, and the db user username/password you need for the install page), for the installation of the forum.
On most paid webhosts, phpMyAdmin is pre-installed, and may be used to create a DB.
Sometimes you can create one via your hosting control panel.
Sometimes, its already created for you and you need to contact your host for the username/password to connect to it, and its name.
( some hosts which pre-create the DB for you *may* use your ftp username/password as the database username/password - but this is not always the case)

For most installs, you can leave the default 'localhost' as the Database Server Hostname.

If your browser supports flash, this tutorial may help you with your installation.
http://www.phpbb.com/support/tutorials/ ... in_install
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Well, the DSN is the data source name... this is only if you use Access (? I'm really not sure)...

database username = the name you used to subscribe to hosting; most likely the same as your FTP login
database password = in my experience, you don't need one.

hopefully this helped you. cheers!

[EDIT] Drexion answered your question better than me! Cheers.
yellowdotz

wow...im gonna hammer this out

Post by yellowdotz »

yeah thanks for the fast reply...u guys are great! I'm going to call my server and find out the actual dsn and other database info since I couldn't set up the installation page properly.
yellowdotz

need more help

Post by yellowdotz »

ok I went into my control panel on my server and I got all the database info and I filled out the installation page with the correct info. After I hit the "start install" button I get this message.

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

what could I be doing wrong :?:
don't understand why...any help would be appreciated.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”