Error message

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ElbertF

Error message

Post by ElbertF »

My forum isn't working! It did two days ago, I didn't do anything funny. This is what my browser says:
Internet Explorer wrote: phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I probably need to install it again.

What files do I need to back up? I would hate to loose all messages, modifications and member accounts! Or is there another way to fix this?
Darlof
Former Team Member
Name: Darrell

Post by Darlof »

contact your host to make sure the database is still up and going...if not, then you will need to have them restart it...if they cannot, then you can try to reinstall phpBB...the posts, etc are stored in teh database...
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

You don't have to install it again ;-) Just ask your host if your database is server is down, check your config.php if the connection data to your database server is correct etc. :-)
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Thanks for the quick reply all... I will contact them.

But if I have to reinstall, phpbb will ask me for a new file preset (like phpforum_file), and all users will appear to be gone. I probably have to make a small ajustment in a file somewhere right?
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Uhm.... they just have to restart the database server. This shouldn't affect the data that is stored in your database ;-)
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”