Forum Download

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
claudiafuf

Forum Download

Post by claudiafuf »

Would someone be kind enough to download a phpbb forum onto the webhosting that I have purchased? I have no clue where to even begin ... and the directions are not helpful as I am clueless about forums. Thank you so much, to whomever replies.

Post by Jon Reid »

It's literally as easy as unzipping the package, uploading it all to your site and following the path to the install.

Once there all you really need to know is your database name and password, which you should either be able to find through your site CP or already know when you set the thing up.

You enter those details and and other things such as an Admin username and off you go.

You might try asking in 'support'- I'm sure someone with a better knowledge can guide you step by step through the relatively easy process. Otherwise, check out the knowledge base etc etc.

In order for someone to install it for you you would have to hand over FTP details etc etc, which isnt a good idea- and 'trustworty' peeps whop might do it, usually charge a fee.
Administrator of Star Trek Online || Moderator of The Admin Zone
electrofreak

Post by electrofreak »

It is so easy. It has even become a habit to install a new phpbb. I actually save the gz.tar in my home dir, thyen I just move it to where I need it, uncompress it, browse to the appropriet place, almost blind folded type in the db and user info, then click install. all done in about 30 seconds or less. Its as easy as my morning routine.
BOYCOTT THE RIAA!!! -- Downloading free music is LEGAL! -- We NEED to bring the Big 5 down! NOW!
claudiafuf

Post by claudiafuf »

In all honesty, I don't find it that easy ... It's such a new thing to me. But, am I able to count on you for help? Either of you?

Post by electrofreak »

This does a good job of explaining it: http://phpbb.com/support/tutorials/disp ... in_install
BOYCOTT THE RIAA!!! -- Downloading free music is LEGAL! -- We NEED to bring the Big 5 down! NOW!
Darkmonkey
Former Team Member

Post by Darkmonkey »

shekinahs

Re: Forum Download

Post by shekinahs »

claudiafuf wrote: Would someone be kind enough to download a phpbb forum onto the webhosting that I have purchased? I have no clue where to even begin ... and the directions are not helpful as I am clueless about forums. Thank you so much, to whomever replies.

You just download the zip files and unzip and then upload the files to your host site.

You will then need to create a database (your hosting company should be able to tell you how exactly to do that.) It should not be that hard. Just create a database and give it a name. And then create a user to associate with the database and then apply the user to the database.

Once you have all the files uploaded and the database created then just follow the instructions that come with the download for how to set up the forum. :D
~Everything is in the eye of the beholder. ~
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Step 1: download the files.
Step 2: send $500 to me.
Step 3: ... profit!
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

moving to Support.

The phpBB2 Welcome Package

What exactly don't you understand?
claudiafuf

Post by claudiafuf »

I just don't understand any of it ... the words are confusing as I don't know what they mean. Thanks for trying to help, though. I appreciate that just as much!

Post by monkey46219 »

I am to lazy to read through and see if anyone helped, but I would be glad to, contact me via AIM/YIM/ICQ/MSNM (in profile) or PM me.
ICQ: 280806805 AIM: Nuclear Company MSNM: Admin@nucleararcade.com YIM: nuclear_hosting E-Mail: Admin@NuclearCompany.com

Websites:
http://www.NuclearCompany.com
http://www.MonkeyFiles.net
claudiafuf

Post by claudiafuf »

Oh, thank you so much! This is very kind of you. I truly appreciate the gesture!
primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

claudiafuf wrote: the words are confusing as I don't know what they mean.

which words? We can't help you if we don't know what is unclear to you...
claudiafuf

Post by claudiafuf »

It is the entire process that is unclear to me.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”