Well, let me see if I can explain this. I happened to figure it out by accident.
I currently run an English/Portuguese board. The problem was displaying the Portuguese characters. So I did what was mentioned above:
REPLACE WITH: utf-8
By the way it has to be done in both language file directories
But then all the Portuguese characters from the lang files would not show up correctly or at all.
Here are just some of the characters as an example:
à ç ê ã õ and so on...
You have to go into the LANG files for the language (this case Portuguese) and change all of them:
Now as you look at these files you’ll see the word in English with the translation. Any characters like the ones mentioned above have to be replaced with Numerical Character References or NCR's. These take the form of &#nnnn;
See example below
á = á
ç = ç
ê = ê
I found this by opening the files in Dream weaver and then inserting "Special Characters" from the tool bar.
Now there are thousands of lines with these characters and it’s time consuming to get them all replaced, and finding them all. The best way I found was to make a list of all the characters (it helps if you are fluent in that language) and then using the replace function, systematically go thru every page and find/replace all the characters.
Here is an example of the word Forum, in Portuguese it’s Fórum. The ó would not show up, actually all I would see was the F
Now when you change the characters to NCR's it will look like this (in the PHP files) Fórum in the message board it shows correctly.
Now everything works, including the search engine. So good luck with your changes 8O
Last edited by ptudozer
on Sun May 01, 2005 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr --- Danish physicist (1885 - 1962)