MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
CrimsonBane

MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

Post by CrimsonBane » Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:33 pm

REMOVED FOR PRIVATE REASONS.
Last edited by CrimsonBane on Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

Post by BartVB » Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:39 pm

Hmm, what function(s) are you talking about exactly? Did some preliminary testing and the templates didn't seem to use the largest amount of time at all..

BTW performance tuning hasn't been high on our priority list yet, this will be done during the code review before the release..

But will take a look at what you created :D
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

CrimsonBane

Post by CrimsonBane » Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:41 pm

Last edited by CrimsonBane on Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:57 pm

We did a series of timings looking at the breakdown of page gen times across the entire codebase. Template compilation was not that large IIRC (this was for typical shared virtual host, you can find the times I posted somewhere ) ... however, in your case Crimson with a system that seems somewhat short of grunt(!) it will make a difference as Nathan points out, this is CPU dependent, not I/O.

Also as you know we planned on looking @ this for 2.2, I probably still have the conversation on an mIRC log somewhere ... sigh :( Hello, is there anybody out there, do I really talk to myself on this board or does my 'job title' still carry any weight :D So I guess we can scrap one feature off the list :D
Last edited by psoTFX on Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonBane

Post by CrimsonBane » Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:04 pm

Last edited by CrimsonBane on Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andex

Whoa

Post by Andex » Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:30 pm

whoa this made the generation time on my board go down like 45 % Thanks crimson, Now my 56k'ers wont complain as much :)

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:12 pm

Crimson, very nice work, it's nice to know something useful to phpBB 2.0 came out of this town, God knows nothing I've done fits into that category... ;)

PSO, buddy, you need a beer. No, hold that thought. You don't need a beer, you need to sober up... or go to bed, cuz isn't 5PM my time something like 2AM your time?

To any other developers, who are hopefully a little better composed at the moment than Paul... damn, if it's taking page gen times down that much, d'you think maybe this is something worth taking a look at before the release of 2.0? Cause goodness knows we don't all run incredibly fast web servers :)

/edit: w00t, 500th post... whoops, guess there's no rank defined for anybody with as much spare time as me! How about "that crazy Canadian kid"... ;)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:16 pm

[quote=Kanuck]
Crimson, very nice work, it's nice to know something useful to phpBB 2.0 came out of this town, God knows nothing I've done fits into that category... ;)[/quote]

Yep that's true. phpBB2 is getting some hacks already before releasing it, that's great :-)

[quote=Kanuck]
PSO, buddy, you need a beer. No, hold that thought. You don't need a beer, you need to sober up... or go to bed, cuz isn't 5PM my time something like 2AM your time?[/quote]

oh... 0015 my time... should go to bed... sh*t

[quote=Kanuck]
To any other developers, who are hopefully a little better composed at the moment than Paul... damn, if it's taking page gen times down that much, d'you think maybe this is something worth taking a look at before the release of 2.0?[/quote]

hehe, feature request? but you are right, if there is such an easy solution why not and it definitly saves resources...

[quote=Kanuck]Cause goodness knows we don't all run incredibly fast web servers :)[/quote]

are you sure? SCNR ;)
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:27 pm

Kanuck, the only person to piss me off right now is you ;) You've no idea about some discussions that have gone on so please don't comment on things you simply have no insight into. I had excellent reason for saying what I did, do me a favour and instead of often criticising things I say keep this thought in your head "There may be a reason Paul is Lead Developer of phpBB 2" ...

TheBigYellowBus

Amazing

Post by TheBigYellowBus » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:39 pm

There was a 53% page generation DECREASE on my board. Way to go CrimsonBane. You Rule.

PSO: Lighten up.

Edit: Oops. Faster not slower. =)
Last edited by TheBigYellowBus on Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:42 pm

I'll lighten up alright.

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:45 pm

Paul, I wasn't criticizing you, it was just a joke... because the second half of your original message definitely reads like a joke...

Apologies if my mind-reading skills need to be honed.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

Post by BartVB » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:50 pm

Please calm down people.. There is more going on here than you can see in this topic..

I completely support Paul in his initial reaction but I know it seems to be a bit 'harsh' for people that just come in and don't know what is exactly going on here..

The performance increase is nice but has been discussed between Nathan, CrimsonBane and Nathan... Please be patient and please don't draw conclusions when you don't have all the facts.
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:53 pm

[quote=BartVB]
Please calm down people.. There is more going on here than you can see in this topic..[/quote]

There is nothing to worry IMHO. There IS a hack and so it's not necessary to build it in phpBB2 right now. I just added a comment ;-)
Ciao... Thunder
Hannes Minimair
phpBB2 Groupie

CrimsonBane

Post by CrimsonBane » Wed Nov 07, 2001 11:58 pm

Last edited by CrimsonBane on Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”