phpBB and ZoneAlarm Pro

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Leonard

phpBB and ZoneAlarm Pro

Post by Leonard »

As a ZAP user (latest version) it happens that you can not use emoticons (smilies). One can click on one of them, but nothing happens. The strange thing is that this does not happen all the time!
An hour ago I could not, and now I can :?: as you see. I've all ZAP settings for www.phpbb.com ok.

As many use ZAP, they will encounter this problem most likely too.

Does any one knows where to look for a solution?

greetings,
Leonard
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

I'd say a problem of broken web browser.

Atguard (another firewall.... company now defunct) allowed blocking of javascript.... is ZAP/your web browser set to do something similar?? The smilies require javascript to work.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

It can not be a browser (IE5.5) problem, because when a disable ZAP it is possible to use smilies.

My first forum contribution I could use them (as you can see), but now I can't ! Have not changed any configuration since...

My ZAP configuration allows anything for this forum (that is also javascript and mime-type integrated objects)

Also I just noticed that it is (at this time) not possible to highlight a text to make it bold.

Most strange is, that all acts as a traffic light, mostly red, sometimes green.

More strange:
Now I am editing my message, and it all works again ! :twisted:
Stefan Koopmanschap
Former Team Member

Post by Stefan Koopmanschap »

those actions are javascript functions (both the smilies and the b, i, u, etc buttons above the message textarea. so for some reason, your ZoneAlarm is blocking javascripts, or your browser is configured to not execute javascripts.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

As said before, both IE and ZoneAlarm Pro are configured to accept javascripts. And the more: the problem does not occur all the time, this makes it quite difficult to trace the origin of the problem I have.
Last edited by Leonard on Wed May 22, 2002 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan Koopmanschap
Former Team Member

this is a weird problem, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with the phpBB code, since this is the first time this problem is reported. I am afraid it does have something to do with the configuration of your system. :(
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

I believe that BOTH are not to blame, but as known, some things might not work together as well as one would like.

This also means that there must be some reason, unknown to me yet.

This is why I would like to hear if other users encounter this problem too.
My ZoneAlarm Pro version is 3.0.118.

And again, this time I can use the smilies and extra's again 8O , this is most strange, as I would expect that it should happen all the time (or not).

And now, I can't (preview message - before posting).
Stefan Koopmanschap
Former Team Member

hmmm yes.

if there are any other users with this problem, feel free to post here :)
BarryMoore

Post by BarryMoore »

I have a user who is reporting similar problems with ZoneAlarmPro. Were you able to find a solution?
jbay

Post by jbay »

I've also had at least one user with same problem & with ZAP

it also killed his ability (and to see, I think) text styles
GoleyC

Zone Alarm Pro

Post by GoleyC »

I'm using the current version of ZAP.

ZAP Version: 3.0.118

I have not experienced any of this symptoms that have been brought up. I can freely use Emoticons, Text Styles and the like.

In the Privacy tab: do you have Mobile Code Control turned to Off? Mine is off and all works well. If that's on, turn it off and see if that makes a difference.
CG
BarryMoore

Post by BarryMoore »

I asked one of my users that was having the problem to try the suggestion to turn Mobile Code Control to off - here is the reply:
Mobile was set to off. I tried setting it to on, and I got (for the first time) a ZoneAlarm message saying "privacy codes have affected this site." I think its definitely the ad blocking.

I don't know the software so don't even know what the Mobile Code Control does, or how the ad blocking works (there are NO ads on the site - from what I can tell it is jsut having a problem with the JavaScript in phpbb2).

Any other suggestions?
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

GoleyC wrote: In the Privacy tab: do you have Mobile Code Control turned to Off? Mine is off and all works well. If that's on, turn it off and see if that makes a difference.

Does not make any difference. Even with all ZAP options turned off it does not work.
And the strange thing is that sometimes all is ok, and a minute later not (same forum session).

I have it happening with phpBB (v2.0.0 and also v2.0.1). Also a phpBB cookie problem using ZAP. Cookie problem does not exists with other fora (UBB, etc). But this is another problem.
GoleyC wrote: I'm using the current version of ZAP. ZAP Version: 3.0.118.

Yes I also use v3.0.118

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”