guests in areas they shouldn't be in

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
cwg25

guests in areas they shouldn't be in

Post by cwg25 »

Hi. I have my phpbb board set up so guests cannot do anything but see one forum when they go on the board, just the guest forum. They can't see or read or post anything else at all.

But sometimes, when I go to my admin panel in phpbb, I see a guest is logged on and the location says they're in another forum, where they don't have permission to be.

What is this all about? Should I be worried? Is it a glitch?

When I log off my board and become a guest, I can't do anything but see the guest forum, the way its supposed to be.....but how are other guests getting to other restricted forums? Or are they? Is it just a problem with the admin panel? Thanks.

-Chris
honest

Post by honest »

Dont worry about it, they are not actually getting in...ive already read a good post on this topic in this forum...the users acess to the forum doesnt get validated untill after the are into the forum(server-side), then if they dont the right permissions it boots them out, so it may look like the users are where they shouldnt be, but they really are not...
cwg25

Post by cwg25 »

ok, I think I understand. But, how does a guest even get into a forum when there is nowhere for them to click to that forum?
cwg25

Post by cwg25 »

ok, i think I may know why most or all of that happens---what I just said above. I have links on some pages to certain forums....so maybe they click on the link and that's why the location in the admin panel says what it says, even though they are a guest, they start from that restricted forum, which they can't even see.
But I'm still not sure that this is the case %100 of the time. Regardless, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”