Restore deleted topics - Resolved

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
IceColdFever

Restore deleted topics - Resolved

Post by IceColdFever » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:41 am

I need to restore about 20 or so topics that were deleted. I have a backup of the database from a couple months ago but when i add it back into the database, it doesn't appear in the forum as it should (actually it doesn't appear at all).

For each post i've added back these 3 parts. Let me know if i'm missing something. Thanks

phpbb_posts
phpbb_posts_text
phpbb_topics
Last edited by IceColdFever on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:33 pm

I've also had to do this a couple of times.
A simple way is to disable your board (I'll explain just why in a minute) and run an SQL which will insert the topics, post_text and posts that were missing.

If you don't disable your board and you've manually inserted the topic, then the post and before the post_text is saved sombody clicks to open that topic, the board will find that the topic is empty and the topic and post entries will be deleted from the tables. So you'll end up with a post_text with no post and no topic.

So my advice: Make the SQL file, disable the board, run the SQL, enable your board.
Just one remark: if those topics were in a forum which was deleted since then, you will also have to restire that forum.

Good luck
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

IceColdFever

Post by IceColdFever » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:06 am

Nuts. I just tried that and it's a no go. I did it earlier without disabling the board and all three sections where there just now when i checked. But for giggles, i deleted the 3 parts and disabled the board. I then ran the 3 insert commands and it still didn't show up. I checked the database after i looked for it and it was still there.

The topic, post and post text are all missing in the actual forums, but not in the database.

Can i just add one post per topic? Because that is what i'm doing. I haven't loaded all of the posts because i just was testing to see if one would work.

IceColdFever

Post by IceColdFever » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:30 am

that was it...i'm a retard...I guess it needs all of the topic (not just the first post).

Thanks for your help warmweer

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”