E-mail problem

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Reptile

E-mail problem

Post by Reptile » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:49 pm

No one can seem to register for my forums, because when they hit the submit button to submit their information, they receive an error:

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\sd\phpBB2\includes\emailer.php

I can't figure out how to fix this... are there multiple options? I had hosted forums before (I am switching from invision board to phpbb) and sending e-mail worked before. Thanks for all help.

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:20 pm

canned reply wrote: It basically means that there is a problem with the email software installed on the server.

Enable SMTP in Admin Panel --> General Admin --> Configuration, use as SMTP server localhost, leave username and password empty and see if it works.

If it still doesn't work, try as SMTP server the SMTP server of your hoster or your ISP as well as the respective username (if necessary) and your SMTP password (only possible, if the SMTP server supports authentication).

If this is a personal server, you'll probably want to install and SMTP server. Please see Google for some links.

On some servers, such as CoolFreePages, no email options are avalaible. In this case, you'll need to modify emailer.php to not send emails and not error out. It just so happens, that I've made such a file http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 253#989253
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Reptile

yeah

Post by Reptile » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:26 pm

This is a personal server, just a computer turned into a server basically :)

I really need to go the SMTP route? Or is there another route that I can take?

Also, if I have to take the SMTP route, I might as well setup a complete e-mail system, so I can have my own e-mails associated with my domain, and possible hotmail-like service to users. I know of some programs that will do this, but would like a few recommendations :)

Reptile

hmmm

Post by Reptile » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:36 pm

Also, I tried turning my emailer.php file into

<?php

//Emailer.php
//Do nothing
//phhBB 2.0.6 compatible
class emailer
{

function from()
{
return;
}

}
?>

but that doesn't seem to help :(

Reptile

got it

Post by Reptile » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:55 pm

Got it to work, this is what I did.

I turned off e-mail validation, then I took the emailer.php file, and turned it into a nice 'you have registered successfully, click here to return blah blah blah' and it works nicely.

OneThing

Re: got it

Post by OneThing » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:56 pm

Reptile, would you mind posting the code for the emailer.php you created to make the "you have registered successfully" message?

Thanks for the help!
Reptile wrote: Got it to work, this is what I did.

I turned off e-mail validation, then I took the emailer.php file, and turned it into a nice 'you have registered successfully, click here to return blah blah blah' and it works nicely.

cornofstarchy

Post by cornofstarchy » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:07 pm

Reptile wrote: Got it to work, this is what I did.

are you actually able to register? lol

levdog

Post by levdog » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:07 pm

cornofstarchy wrote:
Reptile wrote:Got it to work, this is what I did.

are you actually able to register? lol

The problem he was haveing doesnt actualy stop them from registering, i think if you go and checkj the memberlist then they will be registered, but what actualy hapens is instead of going to the page telling them they have registered afterwards, it gives them an email error, this is because it tries to email them when they sign up saying "blah blah blah, thanks for registering" but because the smtp settings were wrong or unreachable you get an error message telling them the email could not be sent.

jedeye

Post by jedeye » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:17 pm

I had the same error , ive turned it off as someone stated in order to fix that error but instead helping me to fix that , i got into another issue, whenever someone register it doesnt send the validation email to the reigstrant. what can i do ????

Phoenix™

Post by Phoenix™ » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:44 pm

i am getting a similar problem with mine, but i have set my smtp details correctly but get:
Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 502 Command is locally disabled

DEBUG MODE

Line : 125
File : C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\forum\includes\smtp.php

I am sure i have missed something in config, but i cant find anything

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:46 pm

The SMTP server is complaining about something. Did you put in a username and password in the configuration for the phpBB setup.

Phoenix™

Post by Phoenix™ » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:58 pm

yep, and i made sure i spelled the server address correctly, had problems with misspelling b4

Phoenix™

Post by Phoenix™ » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:59 pm

oops no, i put it in later in the configuration page

RunningMonk

Post by RunningMonk » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:02 pm

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : /phpbb/includes/emailer.php :x :?: :?:

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:02 pm

Okay, so what are your SMTP configuration settings right now?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”