Resizing remote avatars

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
hAppY pAppY

Resizing remote avatars

Post by hAppY pAppY »

Hi, every time someone uses a remote avatar on my board, it does not resize them to 80x80.

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

thanks
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

this board does not resize remote avatars, I don't know how it could, but i think there is some kind of MOD or something that can help. try the mods section

robert
sellis

Post by sellis »

Hi Pappy,
I wrote a very small mod for this purpose that works great. You can find it here:

Resize Remote Avatars
http://phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=3201

It will automatically resize remote avatars in viewtopic to the maximum dimensions set in the ACP and it also preserves aspect ratio.

Hope you find it useful.
-Scott
effgjamis

Post by effgjamis »

Sellis,, you do your self proud..

cool and I thank you for the avatar sizeing mod.. just super you to do that.

now I have got a question for you...

What causes the tented logo not to display, where as the phpbb med logo will..??
the tented is 7.8kb and the med logo is 3.7kb..
I have found that I cannot display any logo larger than 4,096.

Would appreciate some assistance... or better yet,, THE SOLUTION>>:)

thank you in advance..
<< EFF >>
sellis

Post by sellis »

Hi Effg,
Thanks, I'm glad you like the mod. I wrote it because all the other remote avatar resize mods were way too complicated (some even require db changes!). Mine is the simplest one around.

About your question, I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Do you mean you are you trying to use the phpbb tent logo as an avatar and it's not showing up?

When you say: "I have found that I cannot display any logo larger than 4,096" There is a setting in the ACP for the maximum file size for uploaded avatars. Sounds like you have this set to 4096. Phpbb already has support for limiting file size and pixel size for uploaded avatars, but no support for resizing remotely linked avatars. That's what my mod does (pixel size, anyway).

??
Thanks,
Scott
effgjamis

Post by effgjamis »

Hey..sellis

Sorry did not mean confusion...

My problem issue is not with avatars. It is with the logo, such as logo-phpBB.gif which is 7.8kbs,, which will not display on the upper Left corner of the forum page. However, if I rename logo-phpBB_med.gif ( 3.7kbs) to that of logo_phpBB.gif.. the logo will appear (display on page).

If I were to take any Gif logo, makes no difference what, if the size of the logo is 4096 or less, there is no problem in displaying the logo.. It is only IF the DANG LOGO is larger than 4,096 that the logo fails to display.

As to the APC config in sizing, I believe that size parameter is related to the Avatar's and not the LOGO's.. and to ensure that it did not effect I increased it to 8192.. no change...:(

Thank you

and please advise
<< EFF >>
honest

Post by honest »

hello, I was wondering about the previously mentioned mod, does it also support resizing of any image links? is there a mod that would resize linked images in the message/signature?
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

effgjamis wrote: Hey..sellis

Sorry did not mean confusion...

My problem issue is not with avatars. It is with the logo, such as logo-phpBB.gif which is 7.8kbs,, which will not display on the upper Left corner of the forum page. However, if I rename logo-phpBB_med.gif ( 3.7kbs) to that of logo_phpBB.gif.. the logo will appear (display on page).

If I were to take any Gif logo, makes no difference what, if the size of the logo is 4096 or less, there is no problem in displaying the logo.. It is only IF the DANG LOGO is larger than 4,096 that the logo fails to display.

As to the APC config in sizing, I believe that size parameter is related to the Avatar's and not the LOGO's.. and to ensure that it did not effect I increased it to 8192.. no change...:(

Thank you

and please advise

there is nothing I can think of in phpbb that will have any affect on what file size your logo is,
sellis

Post by sellis »

Wow, Effg, that is a very strange problem. Do larger images show up in your forum in places other than the top left logo? Could your isp have some sort of restriction on image filesize?
CTCNetwork
Former Team Member

Post by CTCNetwork »

Hi,

Just for info, my logo is 4286 bytes :-
4.19 KB (4286 bytes)

So not a forum restriction.

Des. . . :wink:
Density:- Not just a measurement~Its a whole way of Life.! ! !
| Welcome! | RTFM!!! | Search! It's Easy! | Problem? | Spam? | Advice! |
Matt.

Post by Matt. »

sellis wrote: Hi Pappy,
I wrote a very small mod for this purpose that works great. You can find it here:

Resize Remote Avatars
http://phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=3201

It will automatically resize remote avatars in viewtopic to the maximum dimensions set in the ACP and it also preserves aspect ratio.

Hope you find it useful.
-Scott

Scott, I installed this mod to my board, but it slowed it down to such a degree it became unusable.
Would this mod conflict with any other modifications done to the site?
I don't know anything about coding at all (only how to find/cut/paste).
These are the sort of problems it created on my forum
Once removed, everything went back to normal.
Cheers
Matt
sellis

Post by sellis »

Hi Matt,
Sorry you had problems. I've never heard of this happening for anyone else.

Maybe it's a problem with the php getimagesize function being called on a huge image? I'll look into it...

Also, I noticed in the thread that you would like to simply not show avatars greater than a certain size. I think I could add that functionality pretty quickly if you'd like...
Thanks,
Scott
Matt.

Post by Matt. »

Hey Scott,

I've added another mod that restricts avatars being introduced larger than 80 x 80 when users change them in their profile, but existing avatars stay the same.
A mod that simply won't show avatars greater than a certain size would be great. This would force users to fit within the guidelines.

Cheers
Matt
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

you can also ban or delete users that won't comply with your rules. what are rules for if they aren't enforced.

robert
Matt.

Post by Matt. »

I could, but it's only an avatar.
That's a bit of drastic response.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”