Problems restoring my LARGE database.

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
cwipperman

Problems restoring my LARGE database.

Post by cwipperman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:15 am

Wow.... what a headache.

OK, had to move servers. I backed up my entire database (using the phpbb backup feature) prior to the move. Get to the new server, install phpbb, and go to upload the old database. And...... problems. My old forum's database is about 120 MB's, and from what I'm reading - this is just too large to upload (I guess the limit is 50 MB). So, I tried going through my cpanel and uploading the database. I uploaded it, but when I try to access it via phpmyadmin, I click on the database, and it says "no tables".

Now... I went to my host's forum for some tips, and the advice I got was WAY over my head. I also have searched phpbb.com, and read these articles:

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=9
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=59

Both offer useful information... but the info is still a little above my head. And, I tried to download that tool for breaking up the database - but couldn't get it to work.

Now.... surely there is some way to do this that won't take a doctorate in computer programming, or won't take me 6 weeks. I thought the purpose of having a "backup" was so that you could easily restore the forum if you had a problem or moved the forum.

If anyone can tell me what I need to do, then I would greatly appreciate it. My forum has been down for about 5 days now - and people are getting restless. And, please try to give info that someone with a limited knowledge could understand. I can figure out the basics - but I get lost easily when folks get too technical.

Thanks

Chris

CTCNetwork
Former Team Member

Post by CTCNetwork » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:33 am

Hi,

The usual limit for restores is set by php.ini and is, by default about 2Mb.

Thus any file larger than about 1.5Mb is going to not load up.

The Knowledge Base artilce on the "How to use phpMyAdmin for . ." is the best source of information you'll get on this.

Another option may be to speak to your new hosts and have them do the restore for you as this would bypass the upload restriction. You would need to upload your backup file to make it available to your Hosts.

Hope this helps,

Des. . . :wink:
Density:- Not just a measurement~Its a whole way of Life.! ! !
| Welcome! | RTFM!!! | Search! It's Easy! | Problem? | Spam? | Advice! |

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”