[Answered] Can I run 2 boards with one database?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Bryan Thompson

[Answered] Can I run 2 boards with one database?

Post by Bryan Thompson »

First I have run a search and could not find the topic so if someone can direct me I would appreciate it. What I want to do is open a totally separate board but use the same database on my server. I do not want to share users. I want this a totally separate board. How do I upload the second copy to make it work.

Bryan
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

Just make sure the table prefixes used for both boards are unique.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
asuh

Post by asuh »

can someone explain what prefix is? does that mean the name of the folder that the forum files are in? I want to do the same thing, two completely separate forums.
Der Robe

Post by Der Robe »

I have been told that this is possible but when I attempted to set up two boards the I was refused due to the other forum using the root sql password to run.
WANTED:
Artists and debaters

The Pit
asuh

Post by asuh »

it makes sense that by changing a few values in the files would allow you to run two different boards on one database, but i would have no idea how to do that.
VNB

Post by VNB »

easy!

Upload all the files, call the script from your browser(just like you install your first board). In the process, they will ask for the table prefix, database name, database password, ect. All you need to do is change the table prefix to "php_2" ( default = php_ ). That's all.
asuh

Post by asuh »

awesome!! You rock, VNB. It's all good to go, so thanks!!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”