Blank admin control panel?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ImpactDNI

Blank admin control panel?

Post by ImpactDNI »

I have one phpbb board running on a personal server and was just setting up a second one for a friend. Everything installed correctly, everything seems to have gone the same as on the first one (which works fine). But when I (or anyone else) tries to log into the admin panel from an external connection, the left pane is blank. Tried multiple browsers. When viewing on the local server, i can see the left panel, so i know the files are there, but externally, the left pane is blank, the right shows the default right pane..

Any ideas? (i've searched around and couldn't find an answer)
Devil5

Post by Devil5 »

hmm...the only thing I can think of is that index.php won't be there....Make sure it is....If it is..I don't know...But I don't know much about PhpBB still.
ImpactDNI

Post by ImpactDNI »

its got to be there, it comes up on my local box... but not from externally
Devil5

Post by Devil5 »

wait..I kinda said that wrong..Is there a index.php under the admin file in FTP?
ImpactDNI

Post by ImpactDNI »

yup...
/admin/index.php exists...
looks fine...
JuggleNuts

Post by JuggleNuts »

Did you recently upgrade to php5? I had the same problem with any mods installed that dealt with usergroup permissions (like pafiledb mod). I had to take out some files from the admin folder so it would show the menu.
Devil5

Post by Devil5 »

Then I be sorry...I am still new to PhpBB....And thats all i got...
ImpactDNI

Post by ImpactDNI »

nope
straight up 4.3.7
ImpactDNI

Post by ImpactDNI »

anyone?
Devil5

Post by Devil5 »

Did anyone make this site for you??Cause....I found something on phpbbhacks.com

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/1972
ImpactDNI

Post by ImpactDNI »

nope, all done by me
all i did was
unzip phpbb, rename the folder, put it in my html folder, chmod, chown, install, chmod/chown again, delete install/contrib, and i have no admin left pane from external...
abigail_gray

Post by abigail_gray »

Hi ImpactDNI,
Did you ever solve this problem? I'm have the same problem - no left admin pane only in my case Tomcat shuts down when I try to view the admin pages.
malcolmW

Post by malcolmW »

Old problem - but I had this happen to me last week and did not find the solution here and had to debug it myself.
Solution posted here to save others from having to re-nvent the wheel.

Problem: Blank left pane in admin control panel

Cause: New version of php (or new php configuration settings - never found which)
plus
Errors in one or more of the files .../admin/admin_*.php

In my case the topic types mod had the function renumber_order() defined locally in admin_topic_type.php and this function is also defined in admin_forums.php.
Old board - ignored the duplication and carried on - new one didn't.

Solution: Renamed renumber_order() to t_renumber_order() in admin_topic_type.php (3 places).

I also had this problem in 6 files of my own creation - solution there was to move the functions into .../includes/functions_admin.php (where they should have been in the first place if I had written it all at one session)
Best Regards
Mal
malcolmW

Reply to PM from qdeped

Post by malcolmW »

qdeped wrote: hi how are you?

I have the same problem you had ...insvisible left admin pane 8O

help me correct it your solution here isnt very clear
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 49#1946549

which files should i edit .... its driving me crazzy :cry:

hope to hear from ya soon...

The probem is that there is an error in one or more of the files .../admin/admin_*.php

In my case this did not cause any problems until I updated php - at which point I started getting the 'blank left pane'.

To resolve the problem:
  • Move all the files admin_*.php out of the admin directory and into a temporary directory.
    Log in to the ACP - you will have a blank left pane since there are no programs there
    Move them back again one at a time and refresh the ACP.
    The program that you moved back will now show up in the left pane
    Keep doing this until you get the 'blank left pane' again.
    Open up the last program that you moved back with a program editor and check out any functions defined locally in this program file.
    Try commenting out the function definition and refresh the ACP again.
    If you get a list of admin choices again then it was that function that has been duplicated - another function is defined with the same name in one of the program files that you moved back earlier.
You will then have to check to find the two functions with the same name and see if they do the same thing (in which case move one of them to includes/functions_admin.php and comment out the duplicate definition in your two files) or if they do something different (in which case rename one of them and rename all the references to it in that file)

Continue doing this and moving the files back ine at a time until everything works again.

If you want to speed it up a bit and can keep yourself organised move half the files back at a time. If this gives a problem move half of those back out again. If that sorts it - move back half of the half that you moved out and so on like a binary search.

Have fun

This was a PITA for me.
Best Regards
Mal
qdeped

Post by qdeped »

Malcolm,

thank you so much for your time on this complex post

i will start working on it now and let you know :lol:

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”