what to do with SQL in CVS update?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Nothlit

what to do with SQL in CVS update?

Post by Nothlit »

I may be showing total ignorance by not knowing the answer to this question, but when a new SQL file is included in a CVS update, (in this instance I'm referring to mysql_basic.sql) what do I do with it? I attempted to merge it in with the existing database, but got errors stating the info in it already exists. Am I actually supposed to be doing this or should I leave well enough alone?

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

You have 2 options

1) Clear out your old database and do a fresh install.

2) Figure out what we've added (this can be done using the CVS diff functions) and add it yourself by hand.

If you're unwilling to do number 1 and unable to do number 2 you probably shouldn't be running the CVS code :)
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

Nothlit

Post by Nothlit »

Cool. I am both willing and able, I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to do anything. Thanks! :)

Russ

Post by Russ »

Yeh, it can be done reasonably succesfully. I've been running the CVS version in a live production environment for several weeks now (shock! horror!). Yes, I know, I shouldn't be running it there, but I don't expect you to support it :D.

But, it shows that if you're competent at PHP and SQL, you should be able to sort out any problems that arise. Like that search addition a few days back (I was perfectly able to sort it out, but I really ran that cvs update at the wrong time :))

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”