Can the forum index page be the home page of a domain name?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

Can the forum index page (e.g., http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/index.php ) be the home page of a domain name (www.anything.org) or must it be inside some sub-directory of a domain name?
Last edited by Dzien Dobry on Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

No, it can be wherever you like, the root of a domain, a subdomain, a folder, etc. etc.

black_prince

Post by black_prince »

[quote=Dzien Dobry]
Can the forum index page (e.g., http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/index.php ) be the home page of a domain name (www.anything.org) or must it be inside some sub-directory of a domain name?
[/quote]

easiest way to do it would be to have a redirect script on your index.html page to redirect to the forum index.php page!

hsim

Post by hsim »

most hosters allow index.php or index.cgi to be the start page. So the easiest way is to install phpBB into the root directory of the server and delete index.htm*
Last edited by hsim on Sun Nov 18, 2001 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
email me: hsim at gmx.li

AL

Post by AL »

or if the host uses apache you can .htaccess and have the default be anything you want (home.php in my case)
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

I'm ready to install phpBB 2.0 into the root directory. In my example, where my homepage is www.anything.org, will I be connecting my browser to www.anything.org/index.php ?

Brewjah

Post by Brewjah »

yup should work like that.. if you install phpBB2.0 into the root directory of your site then yeah
Filling in that ugly white noise with a bunch of black static..

NahoG

Post by NahoG »

Yeah, my index page is index.php but its not for phpBB, but I'm sure it'll work...

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”