How to BAN a troll on DSL?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

How to BAN a troll on DSL?

Post by DragonMaster1 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:23 pm

I have a really upsetting troll who keeps trying to come back with new names and emails. I have some good IP tools and ban tools but this person is on DSL and the address bounces all over the entire block of 68.xxx.xxx.xxx so blocking just a few addresses had not helped at all.

Is there anything that I can do to help to eliminate this problem?

Thanx Much!!!

zaphod the zeroth

Post by zaphod the zeroth » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:35 pm

if the guy is that relentless, i would just set registration so that admins need to approve requests before being able to post. then give it a couple of days. he'll probably get tired of trying and move on to another board.

sander marechal

Post by sander marechal » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:57 pm

If you have no users on the 68.*.*.* range then you could also IP ban the enite block temporarily (I suggest a day or two and if he comes back again, maybe a week or even more).

If you do have users on 68.*.*.* then I suggest you follow the advice posted above.

strobe

Re: How to BAN a troll on DSL?

Post by strobe » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:08 pm

DragonMaster1 wrote: I have a really upsetting troll who keeps trying to come back with new names and emails. I have some good IP tools and ban tools but this person is on DSL and the address bounces all over the entire block of 68.xxx.xxx.xxx so blocking just a few addresses had not helped at all.

Is there anything that I can do to help to eliminate this problem?

Thanx Much!!!

Sometimes a sternly worded message indicating that you intend on contacting his ISP will do the trick. I personally don't believe in changing the policies of my board because of one jerk. If he continues to harass you, why not report him? It's the equivelant of digital trespassing.
** An official 'n00b' and provider of 'destructive advice' since December 17th, 2003 **

Still living in mom and dad's basement -- been at home since 74' and not leaving anytime soon!!!

Brucey, Brucey, Bruce - The Internet's Golden Goose.

DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

Post by DragonMaster1 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:23 pm

Good ideas. Thanx a lot.

Mercury_Star

Post by Mercury_Star » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:50 pm

You could try contacting the persons ISP :)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”