Cookies not saved when referred...

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
hmemcpy

Cookies not saved when referred...

Post by hmemcpy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:54 pm

Hello all!

I have a problem, which I'm sure happened not only to me, and probably was answered here was well, however unfortunately I can't find the answer.

I have a forum at some address, let's say http://www.someaddress.com/~someuser/forum/. I have bought a domain name from MyDomain, which gives me subdomain URL forwarding, so I've set up http://forum.mysite.com which forwards to the forum's URL. Also, in the forum I have set up the site address to be forum.mysite.com, and the script path to /.

(Of course, the site names are made up, just for the example)

The problem is, when I browse to the forum with the new URL, it logs me in fine, but if I close the browser, and browse to the site again, I have to log in again = cookie is not saved.

How can I solve this problem? Thanks in advance!
"Out of depths of sorrow I cry
Before thee I lye
If this world shall inherit the mild
Hear your orphaned child..."

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:06 pm

This is normal. In order to stay logged in after you close the browser, you need to check "login automatically" when you login to your board.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

hmemcpy

Post by hmemcpy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:02 pm

Hi :)

Heh, that is not the problem. The "Login automatically" is checked indeed.

Also, I've noticed that the topics I visit are not getting marked as read, so I figure that the session cookie isn't being written at all. Also, that only happens if the site is being referred from another address, which means if I browse directly to www.somesite/~someuser/forum/ then everything works fine. But if I use the url forwarding service, the cookie isnt being written...

Hope I made myself clearer :)
"Out of depths of sorrow I cry
Before thee I lye
If this world shall inherit the mild
Hear your orphaned child..."

.Darren

Post by .Darren » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:15 pm

If you are using a free URL Forwarding service like .tk then this could be why. In my experiences with URL forwarding services like these they don't handle cookies or sessions very well at all.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”