Security problem - automatically logged in as mod!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
SillySprout

Security problem - automatically logged in as mod!

Post by SillySprout »

Hmm. Strange one this. I got a post on my forum today from somebody who clicked a link on my website to register on my forum ( the link I added to the main site is http://poopgang.com/forum/profile.php?mode=register ) and instead of registering them it logged them in... as one of my mods. :o

Because I'm also mod on Gamesradar where this guy saw the link from, I know he's not fibbing as I can do an IP check on both forums. Here's what the guy said in the forums bug reporting thread:

Nope, fraid not old chap.
Heres what happened, I clicked on your link on GR and it took me to Poopgang's home page...
I went to register then it said i had a PM... Cue my Confused face.
I clicked on it and it came up some messages, then i looked at the top of the page and it said i was Thanatos.
Saw i had Mod powers... but luckily i'm not somebody else.

Any ideas? I've changed Thannys password and removed his mod powers to prevent any mishaps in the meantime, but I'd definately like to know if there is a major problem on the security side of things.

Cheers.

xxx
Weeee. I am an outrageous vegetable!
fumbalah

Post by fumbalah »

Is this something he told you or something you saw?
SillySprout

Post by SillySprout »

He posted using the mods account. As I said, it was definately him because I can IP check him on both forums we're both registered to.
Weeee. I am an outrageous vegetable!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”