Support for MySQL 4???

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Elyk

Support for MySQL 4???

Post by Elyk » Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:40 pm

Does phpbb support the newest offering from MySQL?? I'm completely new at this so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

El Faquin

I think yes,

Post by El Faquin » Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:54 pm

If version 4 is better than 3.xx.xx so, i tyhink there is no problem to use an mysql 4.
:)

Elyk

Post by Elyk » Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:56 pm

Reason I ask is because MySQL 4.0.1 is still in the development stages, but they say its safe for use. I suppose your right though I just wanted some kind of confirmation.

AL

Post by AL » Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:58 pm

if i remember correctly (been AFK for a bit) there is an option in the install for mysql 3.x and 4.x

so if nothing else give it a try - can't hurt ;) (if you are upgrading a board just be SURE to make a backup of your database)
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

Elyk

Post by Elyk » Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:02 pm

No upgrading here! :D Actually I'm just getting started with all this stuff, MySQL, phpbb, website design, etc. I want a fast reliable board with tons and tons of features.

How easy is phpbb to install? I've been reading around and some of the different bb's are pretty difficult to set up.

El Faquin

OK

Post by El Faquin » Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:21 pm

i tell you this:

i have i´ve installed phpbb two or three times, and is NOTHING dificult. It asks you for some settings for admin user, and data base infromation.
If you have this info, you will not have any trouble to do it.

The install script is really good.

:) 8O

Elyk

Post by Elyk » Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:25 pm

Sounds good. What information do I need?? As you can see I don't know much. :wink:

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:47 am

Yes, phpBB supports mysql4 (note the drop-down during installation and the mysql4 schema. :D)
You need to make sure mysql is compiled in to php, you need to make sure you have a webserver such as Apache (sorry if you feel like I'm babying you, this is as much for me as it is for you so I make sure I don't forget something. :P) Then you will need to set up a user that has the correct permissions. You will need to know the host to connect to (usually localhost), a database, and you will need your password/username. phpBB takes care of the rest! Oh yeah, make sure you chmod config.php 777 if you are on a *nix system.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

El Faquin

ok

Post by El Faquin » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:51 am

first of all, the install script, asks you if have mysql 4.xx. :D

need :...
path where script is installed.
name, user, host and pasword of your database
administrator user name, and password
e mail adress

And that´s it. You are able to install ir with these data.

Script asks you if you are insalling or upgrading.

good luck.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”