"Your php forum software is using way too much resource

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:58 pm

Ultron, I forgot to ask one other question -- are you using one of the template cache systems? They are supposed to reduce server load.

erossetto

Post by erossetto » Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:14 am

Jeez, if a board with 43 registered users and 670 posts is "too much" for your host then you should change to something better.
^^^^

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:12 am

Just for the record, even if you don't have a very active forum but with a lot of posts, it still takes cpu processes because the server still has to parse everything and get everything from the db whether or not you have an active forum or not . . . As for the RC-4, sorry but we cannot support RC-4 or less unless you are upgrading, that goes to whomever uses pre 2.0.0 and not just one specific person.
As for the server load, I could understand if you were say, using phpnuke and phpBB. phpBB itself does not take hardly anything to run, I run a test board on a P100 with 16meg of ram for crying out loud! Of course it's only localhost but I run my server in to the ground. :P I purposely post posts one after the other to test load. I have Python, Perl (with DBI and DBD-mysQL), PHP, Apache, mySQL. All tweaked. Enough ranting. :P Seriously though, something isn't right. You shouldn't need a dedicated server to run phpBB, that's not necessary. You do need a dedicated server for garbage such as phpnuke (you should read the security warnings put out by security experts, enough to make you cry) But not for phpBB . . .
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Jarf

Post by Jarf » Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:15 am

Ultron, what you really need to do is have your host clarify the "too much resource" complaint that the server's watchdog program is finding.

Check your service agreement and have your host give a resource limit to you in writing (or publicly posted somewhere). If it isn't in writing it isn't binding and they are taking you for a ride. Threaten legal action if necessary.

MadCool

Post by MadCool » Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:47 am

It's definitely the host. They must have a ton of sites on the server you're in. Just hearing that they offered unlimited bandwidth was a sure sign of a bad host. I highly suggest you switch host. But what surprise me most was that they said php forum are known to be server hogs? Is that true? I thought it was the opposite, which is why i switched to PHPBB.
123Designing.com: Webmaster Resource SuperSite
FreeLanceCenter.com: Buy or Provide FreeLance Work @ Your Price!
411Seek.com: Popular PPC Search Engine

Mslayer

IPOWERWEB

Post by Mslayer » Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:12 am

I have IPOWERWEB, haven't had any problems. $7.95 a month.

AL

Post by AL » Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:57 pm

the server load has been discussed before, and if i remember correctly was fixed in many cases by using the cache in the contrib folder. without doing a search i can't remember which was better... db cache or flat cache.

but do a search and try implementing that. i remember a user who was about to have their account suspended, then did the cache. hoster emailed back a few days later and said whatever they did worked :)

also - i say email the hoster back and see if things are better after you deleted avatars and lowered page posts. no use breaking your arm trying to do more stuff when the host is already happy. (my 2 cents)
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

ndarlow

Post by ndarlow » Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:21 pm

I'm not sure about the communitech suggestion of removing images to reduce the number of database connections. Aren't image references embedded within the body of the post? I can see that having images causes additional CPU load by having to interpret the BBCode Img or URL tag but how would it cause another database query?

Has anyone tried using persistent connections with phpBB? I would have thought that repeated database requests to the tables within a phpBB database are a good candidate for this. It might help to reduce the number of connections required if an unused one left behind from a previous access can be reused.

BudMan12558

A good host that wont piss you off with stopid messages is..

Post by BudMan12558 » Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:22 pm

A good host that wont piss you off with stopid messages is histyle at http://www.histyle.net It is a NZ (new zealand) company with server in the USA . So far i pay 8 bux a month and I get unlimited database 100 megs of space (You can get upto like 500 mb) subdomains (unlimited I think) ftp accounts .... all that stuff and like alot of baudwidth , They dont fraud you though.

Check out my site and look at bottom were operations are shown it's preaty good even though I just implemented the forum. 8) 8)

szr

Post by szr » Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:25 pm

Ultron wrote: I have unlimited bandwith.. but not cpu resource... as it seams..
There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth :!:.

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:12 pm

Easy guys, this isn't a "name your favorite host" it's a server load question. Flat file cache is better, just FYI. If anybody else names their host, I'll lock this on the spot.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:38 pm

AL wrote: the server load has been discussed before, and if i remember correctly was fixed in many cases by using the cache in the contrib folder. without doing a search i can't remember which was better... db cache or flat cache.

but do a search and try implementing that. i remember a user who was about to have their account suspended, then did the cache. hoster emailed back a few days later and said whatever they did worked :)

also - i say email the hoster back and see if things are better after you deleted avatars and lowered page posts. no use breaking your arm trying to do more stuff when the host is already happy. (my 2 cents)

Good advice. I do think using the template cache system is a worth a look. Since there is no downside to the cache system that I know of, it's a good add-on under most circumstances, even with a happy host.

szr

Post by szr » Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:14 am

Techie-Micheal wrote: Easy guys, this isn't a "name your favorite host" it's a server load question. Flat file cache is better, just FYI. If anybody else names their host, I'll lock this on the spot.
Uhm, I didn't name my favorite host and that is not a hosting company. I think you better take a look at the web site again.

mabaitpagtulog

Post by mabaitpagtulog » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:34 am

I was with communitech about a month ago for 2 years and had to leave them because of the same problem you're having now. The only fix is for you to buy their more expensive decicated server/VPS or leave. The problem is communitech! They are cleaning up accounts because they've hosted too many accounts per server (up to 300)! The way they stay in business is by attracting many customers with a very low rate and then they rank all these customer based on their resource usage. Users who use more resource get the boot. This way they're able to maintain a lot of users per server (maximum profit) and still have a functioning server.
Cancel your account with CT if you don't want to waste anymore of your time. Check the forum http://www.webhostingtalk.com to read more about CT's bad business practices.

krijgsman

Post by krijgsman » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:07 am

Geesh, some host just love to make troubles.
My host has special servers for people who have busy forums, it's mostly used to serv phpBB-forums :)
I pay per GB a month and have plenty of HD-space, they calculated how much CPU one GB of traffic usses and it's included in the GB-price (which I believe is pretty low) that way I'm sure I will not run into any kind of problems when my forum grows. Downside is that i can only use that account for running a forum, not a regular website.

As I don't want to make a commercial speech I won't mention it's name (I don't want to get flammed ;p ) but it's important for your host to know that you run a busy forum, if they are not informed, they are more likely to close your account.

Choosing a host is very important! Make sure you make the right choice!

Good luck!
Dirk.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”