"Your php forum software is using way too much resource

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

Just for the book: Size doesn't really matter (:lol:), it's how busy it is that counts ;)
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

Yes, but a large number of posts and users usually indicate that the forum is very active.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi,
Powered by phpBB 2.0 RC-4 © 2001 phpBB Group

Will updating to the latest release make any difference?
Please and Thank You works wonders...
I reserve the right to post illogical (and totally wrong) replies.
...It's the subtle perfection in attention to detail that makes your work rock the way it does - cdkrg
Think simple - it's not necessarily what you draw that matters, it's what you perceive - Daz

Note: ForumImages<dot>com is no longer anything to do with me.
Shin

Post by Shin »

First thing I notice is:
phpBB Created this page in 0.970943 seconds : 14 queries executed : GZIP compression disabled : Debug Mode

now my board, running on a FAR lesser machine....(at least from what they claim...
phpBB Created this page in 0.194275 seconds : 17 queries executed : GZIP compression enabled

Any host that offers "unlimited bandwidth" is likely at least to some degree a fraud. No one can deliver "unlimited bandwidth" so they will limit you in some other way. In this case it seems through CPU usage.

If a machine like you are on is taking that long to make the pages and make the DB querries, there is a load problem to begin with....

I would suggest finding a new host...
DizzyGirl

Post by DizzyGirl »

I have the same problem.. my host is kicking me off, lol. Said I use 93% of my server's resources and over 2GB a day with my forum in less than 24 hours of installing it! I had no idea it would use so much CPU and Bandwidth, but he says I am and now I have to purchase a dedicated server :( Costing me a lot to have this forum.
Webmistress, Dizzy Cafe
Ultron

Post by Ultron »

Shin wrote: Any host that offers "unlimited bandwidth" is likely at least to some degree a fraud. No one can deliver "unlimited bandwidth" so they will limit you in some other way. In this case it seems through CPU usage.

They don't offer unlimited bandwidth anymore. But when I signed up they did and I'm in the old contract..

@ all: please keep up posting! I need your ideas to solve my problems. Thank you.

Ultron
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

I'd demand that the hosting company would provide me with some real server logs to prove it.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
BesigedB

Re: "Your php forum software is using way too much reso

Post by BesigedB »

Libra is a powerful Sun Microsystems 250 Enterprise Server. Libra is running dual 296MHz UltraSparc II Processors, each with 2MB of Cache, and 2,048 MB of memory. Libra is running on Solaris 2.7 release 05/99 with Apache 1.3.3 and has over 100GB of drive capacity, running in a RAID-5 configuration

im sorry, but that should NOT be causing a load problem.
Administrator of the no effort online forums
Siteman

Change Host

Post by Siteman »

I have new members every day. Untill now 84 very active members. I´m running my own server on 1 Mbit line on a Windows Server with 300Mhz CPU.
629 postings
129 Topics
Database size 1.52MB No Gzip

No restrictions to my members regarding pictures. Everything seems to run very fine.

My suggestion is to change host.
Kail
Former Team Member

Re: "Your php forum software is using way too much reso

Post by Kail »

BesigedB wrote:
Libra is a powerful Sun Microsystems 250 Enterprise Server. Libra is running dual 296MHz UltraSparc II Processors, each with 2MB of Cache, and 2,048 MB of memory. Libra is running on Solaris 2.7 release 05/99 with Apache 1.3.3 and has over 100GB of drive capacity, running in a RAID-5 configuration

im sorry, but that should NOT be causing a load problem.

With such hardware I can't see how a phpBB forum could be a load on system resources. You'll need a very active forum to make a impact on the CPU load on a system with that kind of hardware.

Shin

Post by Shin »

Dizzy I really find that hard to believe...I think they are taking you for a ride personaly...but i don't know how much traffic you really have..so hard to tell...
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Just my opinion on a couple of things ... the hardware specs don't tell us a thing about how many people/sites are using that hardware. I think we should be careful about drawing too many conclusions with regard to horsepower.

Second, so far, the host in question has been working to resolve the problem. I think just as we feel it's unfair for hosts to condemn phpBB as a poorly written resource hog without adequate information (which they have), it's walking on thin ice for us to use words like "fraud" with regard to this host.

How about we just wait and see if this is an ongoing problem before we condemn some provider for doing what several providers have done before -- questioned the SQL side of phpBB resource use. It's not up to us to tell these people they have to allow 200 active phpBB installs on a shared server or whatever to be a "good" provider. Let's show a little restraint and professionalism.

Just my opinion.
Shin

Post by Shin »

Well unless there was a total runaway script, there is no way that a board of the size stated would use the CPU cycles claimed. Any host that offers unlimited bandwidth is already proving to be dishonest. It goes toward how reputable the company is.

I'm on a dedicated machine and don't have "unlimited bandwidth" to even make such a statement is crazy. Let me put up a few files up there and see how unlimited it is.

I have a few 250 meg files of open beta software. I'd love to get me one of those "unlimited bandwidth" accounts and post some links on a few boards. Then we'll watch how fast my account is canceled. I've seen it before, heard too much of it, and am just sick of seeing it.
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

My advice is still: change host. It doesn't matter how many sites that are hosted on a particular server. If it means that one customer can't take full advantage of PHP and MySQL, he/she should move to another host.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

The advice is fine. It's possibly meaningless (for all we know this is an inexpensive host), but offering it is not a problem.

But the blanket statements don't help. I suppose we should be upset because most shared servers do not allow chat scripts? Even lightweight ones like EveryChat (no PHP, no SQL -- a handful of Perl and HTML, that's it) are often prohibited.

Advice to change hosts is fine. So is advice to be professional. We haven't even allowed the host the courtesy of evaluating the result of the implementation of the changes they recommended.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”