getting logged out repeatedly

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
spbuzz

getting logged out repeatedly

Post by spbuzz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:44 pm

hi. i find that my installation of PHPBB keeps logging me out, even though I have changed the cookie setting (as described in a FAQ post). Can someone shed light on why this might happen and how to resolve it?

just to confirm the basic details: i am logging in correctly, cookies are enabled on my machine, the login timeout is more than ample, and i am checking the box to log in automatically.

thanks!

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:48 pm

What are your current cookie settings in Admin Panel --> General Admin -> Configuration? What's your forum URL?

spbuzz

Post by spbuzz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:21 pm

the settings are as follows:

cookie domain: www.nysmarts.com
cookie name: phpbb2mysql
cookie path: /
cookie secure: disabled
session length: 3600

note that i changed the cookie domain from being blank, as recommended in the FAQ.

thanks for taking a look.

dan

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:23 pm

cookie domain: .nysmarts.com (two dots!)
cookie path: /forum/ (try this also with blank cookie domain)
cookie name: nysmarts

delete your phpBB cookies from your harddisk before testing.

spbuzz

still no luck

Post by spbuzz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:40 pm

i am still being logged out regularly. this occurs whenever i restart my browser, or when i perform virtually any action on the site (ie, posting a message). i tried both things you recommended, but neither seems to make a difference. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

(i will be out for the rest of the day, so may not be able to follow up on any suggestions right away.)

dan

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:23 pm

Which browser are you using? Does it work with a different browser?

spbuzz

Post by spbuzz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:00 pm

i've been using internet explorer 6... i will try with another browser and will report back.

dan

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:29 pm

in IE, did you add your domain to the list of websites for which all cookies are allowed (independant from your general cookie settings)?

spbuzz

Post by spbuzz » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:47 am

primedomain wrote: in IE, did you add your domain to the list of websites for which all cookies are allowed (independant from your general cookie settings)?

no i didn't... but that seems to be too extreme a solution -- i could deal with logging in after every command -- but i don't want my VISITORS to have to do so!

i checked and see that login sessions are not preserved in Netscape either! the plot thickens.

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:10 am

would you mind providing a test account?
Any software installed that could cause problems (e.g. Firewall, ad blocker etc)?

spbuzz

firewall, test account

Post by spbuzz » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:30 pm

primedomain wrote: would you mind providing a test account?
Any software installed that could cause problems (e.g. Firewall, ad blocker etc)?

i disabled my firewall (zonealarm) and tested again -- i remained logged in after turning off then restarting my browser. i repeated the test in netscape and had success with that as well. i will test further functionality over the next day, but it looks like you've identified the problem. i am both impressed and grateful. let me know if you still want a test account, i'd be glad to set you up.

dan

tristatesportbikes

Random users getting logged out at random times

Post by tristatesportbikes » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:44 pm

I am having the same issue with a handful of members on my board.getting logged out after a few mins on only some days, it seems that all have it happen on the same days. Then it goes away for a week or so. My board is at xxxxxxx.xxx. I spoke to a couple users and firewalls are disabled. Looknig into popup blockers on those machines also. I stay logged in for weeks on end and never close the site on my machine.

We have a heavily modded board and I think it might be the shoutbox. Any thoughts Some users type a long reply and when they hit submit they get logged out losing their post. Others get logged out when moving from one forum to another. Any help would be great.

Cookie domain .xxxxxxx.com (edited for security reasons by primedomain)
Cookie name phpbb2mysql
Cookie path /
Cookie secure blank
If your server is running via SSL, set this to enabled, else leave as disabled Disabled
Session length [ seconds ] 86400

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:18 am

First of all, you MUST update ASAP to the latest version. This cookie problem is a very minor issue in comparison to the fact that your forum is seriously at risk. See the docs for details.

As for the cookie problem:
cookie name: sthunique (e.g. forum name)
cookie path: /forum/
session length: 3600 (it is neither recommended nor necesary to increase the default value)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”