It is quite possible that it was related, yes.
OK, what should you be doing:
1. Make sure you change all your admin passwords, hosting passwords and database passwords
2. Check your site for any suspicious files that you don't recognise. There is a list earlier in this thread of what you should see in the phpBB direcotries
3. Check your forum for anyone with admin permissions who shouldn't have them (you can query the database for anyone with a user_level of 1 as indicated earlier in the thread)
We're happy to help you with analysing the logs, but if you want to have a look at them yourself, all the hack attempts will contain "highlight=%2527"
OK, thanks for your reply...
3. I found one attempt, what do I do with it? Access logs only cover a 24 hr period I think.
2. I deleted a whole bunch already from root/forum.
Presume you mean this topic...
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 62#1333262
Extra files I have are:
error_log in root/forum and root/forum/admin
forum root/install.php - looks legitimate and is dated Sep 2002.
forum root/update.php and upgrade_to_202.php both from Aug 2002.
Admin, cache, db, docs ok.
images/ranks directory which I had added
images/gallery doesn't exist because I didn't install it,
includes/old versions of sessions.php I left after modifying original,
templates/subsilver/install.tpl from August 2002,
templates/subsilver/old overall_header.tpl because I added some code,
templates/subsilver/images/2 logos I uploaded.
1. Database password? Hmmm, that's the one in config.php right? I think I need to delete a user and recreate one (using cpanel), or do you know if I can do that with phpmyadmin?