How to?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
rtrev64

How to?

Post by rtrev64 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:58 pm

I have another question.. I have it set up where people have to register if they want to communicate on message board.

I have banned many because of flame postings but now these same people I have banned now use the register page to leave messages.

If you go to my message board room, see in the box-'who is on line' they leave those messages and I have to just delete the user but I have to come back in because they will leave me another message and sometimes and most of the time it is vulger.

How can I deny them that?

http://roberttrevino.com/phpBB/index.php

cbloom

Post by cbloom » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:03 pm

I can think of two solutions:

1.) Look into adding the bantron mod to your forums. It will let you better control who is banned. When your problem users come back to sign up a new username, make note of the IP address that they came from and/or what email address they used when registering. Then, use Bantron to block that IP address and/or emaill address permanently.

2.) Change the verification setting from User Verified to Admin verified. That way you'll be able to approve user accounts before they ever show up on the board. If this is too cumbersom, at least enable user verification so that they have to have a valid email address.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Find XBOX Live gamers - Upload your picture, search by state/country/city & meetup in the new forums!
http://www.gamertagdatabase.com

rtrev64

user activation?

Post by rtrev64 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:12 pm

Enable account activation? I changed that from user to admin. is that right?
I am on my phpBB admin room.

rtrev64

Post by rtrev64 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:24 pm

Change the verification setting from User Verified to Admin verified.

How do I do that? I can't find the user verified part. I went up and down on my admin section.

cbloom

Post by cbloom » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:30 pm

Log in as an administrator and click the Administration link. Click the Configuration link in the Admin menu and look for the "Enable account activation" setting. Set it to Admin if you want to manually approve all accounts or User if you want to just enable email verification for each user.

Regards,
Chris
Find XBOX Live gamers - Upload your picture, search by state/country/city & meetup in the new forums!
http://www.gamertagdatabase.com

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”