Questions questions

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
spriguns

Questions questions

Post by spriguns » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:22 pm

Hi all.
I would like help on a few things before i take the plunge and upgrade.

1:Can the orignal phpBB folder can stay where it is?.
2: phpBB2 will have its own folder (phpBB2) and the upgrade script runs from there?.

3: all members of the old board are still members of phpBB2 board.
4:All topics and posts will still be visible on the new board?.
5: Is it still possible to have "header and footer" html or tables? (like phpBB 1.4)?.

Thanks in advance.

Spriguns :) :)

AL

Re: Questions questions

Post by AL » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:28 pm

spriguns wrote: 1:Can the orignal phpBB folder can stay where it is?.
2: phpBB2 will have its own folder (phpBB2) and the upgrade script runs from there?.

i'm confused... you want to keep your 1.4 files also?? IMO it's best to delete 1.4 files (but make sure you have a backup copy just in case, and a backup copy of your database!) then upload phpbb2. then you can rename the folder to whatever you want and run the install.
3: all members of the old board are still members of phpBB2 board.

as long as you didn't install any mods to 1.4 that messed with the user table everything will be the same. it's a good idea after you upgrade your board to let all your users know to go thru and make sure their settings DID transfer over correctly.
4:All topics and posts will still be visible on the new board?.

yes
5: Is it still possible to have "header and footer" html or tables? (like phpBB 1.4)?.

i think so... just edit overall_header.tpl and overall_footer.tpl in your template directory and you can make it whatever you want. it's not stored in the db like in 1.4 - it's in template files.

good luck!

Thanks in advance.

Spriguns :) :)[/quote][/list][/quote]
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

spriguns

Post by spriguns » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:40 pm

Hi AL.
Thanks for the promt reply.
Yes i was a bit confused as well...lol.
The other thing is my board is boosted by phpBBmod 1.3.3 ,is there any problems with that?.

Thanks
Spriguns :)

AL

Post by AL » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:42 pm

possibly...
i'm not that familiar with phpbbmod, but i do think they have done stuff to the database for their board.

if possible my suggestion would be to set up everything locally and try to do the upgrade - that will show you what problems you will run into.

otherwise contact the folks at phpbbmod as they might be working on an upgrade of their own from phpbbmod to 2.0

good luck!
"A nerd is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology, but a geek is someone whose life is focused on computers and technology and LIKES it that way."

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”