Moving my forums, i want to preserve users+posts

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Cyberpenguin

Moving my forums, i want to preserve users+posts

Post by Cyberpenguin »

Basicly what im doing, is moving my old forums (2.0.10) to a new server, with a fresh (2.0.11) install of phpbb. I want to preserve all my registered users and posts onto my new forums, i dont care about losing and mods i had installed. How would i do this????
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

1. Copy your files to the new host
  2. Change your domain name , script path, cookie domain and cookie path settings in the admin panel -> general admin -> configuration form to point to your new address.
  3. Make a backup of your database (full backup) with admin panel -> general admin -> database backup or with phpMyAdmin or something like that
  4. Restore the backup on the new host with phpMyAdmin. If the backup is larger than 2MB you'll to split it up with a text editor (split after a ; at the end of a line) and restore the chunks piece by piece in the correct order
  5. Edit the config.php so that the connection info to the database server is correct
  6. (If you've already changed the settings in your admin panel's configuration form in set 2 you don't have to do this anymore) Go to the Admin panel and update the cookie settings and the domain name and script path. If you can't login anymore do it in the phpbb_config table in the database
  7. This should do it :)
Info: Don't delete the database on the old server until you are 100% sure, that the transfer was successful.
There are also at least two articles in the knownledge base that should help you:
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=9
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=59
Please use the search function :-)
Note: This is only one way of moving the board. There are others ;-)

Also I'd first disable the board first and only re-enable it after you've updated your now moved board :-)
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
Cyberpenguin

Post by Cyberpenguin »

Alright thanks, i thought i would have to backup the sql from phpmyadmin, then just inport it over the new sql, i guess i was wrong :lol: but the last time i made a backup like that, it just copied the user posts over and not the user names, so i had a forum with 1 user and over 50000 differnt user posts etc... so lol
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Well, these steps I listed above also move your avatars and things like that :-) So a little more than just posts and users ;-)
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
Cyberpenguin

Post by Cyberpenguin »

zeroK wrote: Well, these steps I listed above also move your avatars and things like that :-) So a little more than just posts and users ;-)

yes thanks, that is what i wanted 8)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”