FAQ suggestions

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
psoTFX
Former Team Member

FAQ suggestions

Post by psoTFX » Mon Nov 26, 2001 4:57 pm

We're approaching the second stage of our 'pre-next-release' freeze on components, this will see the language files frozen.

Before this happens, does anyone have any suggestions for additional questions for the FAQ? Is there anything in there we don't need? Post your ideas here ...
Last edited by psoTFX on Thu Nov 29, 2001 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BartVB
Consultant
Consultant

Post by BartVB » Mon Nov 26, 2001 5:21 pm

- How do I place images (tell them they can't use images in their hotmail box or on the harddisk and explain the BBcode stuff).
- Examples of the BBcode? / what is BBcode
- What are moderators
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Mon Nov 26, 2001 5:38 pm

BartVB wrote: - How do I place images (tell them they can't use images in their hotmail box or on the harddisk and explain the BBcode stuff).
- Examples of the BBcode? / what is BBcode
- What are moderators

I agree, especially about the BBCode. Basically something nice kind of like the FAQ for 1.4.x

IMO there should also be a dynamic rank list, like in 1.4.x, so that people can know what the ranks are and how they change.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Mon Nov 26, 2001 5:51 pm

I think BBCode examples are probably best handled by clicking a link on "BBCode in On" aren't they (as per someones previous suggestion)? Otherwise the FAQ will get pretty messy ("What is BBCode?" is fine though)

MoonBuggy
Former Team Member

Post by MoonBuggy » Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:44 pm

Dynamic ranks could be good, I haven't looked at the code yet, but I guess you could just do a table with the ranks pulled from the database? It would be good to see what you can work towards! :lol:
Above post comprised entirely of opinions © MoonBuggy. Cash value £0.02. Not redeemable in all stores. Check our website for full terms and conditions. Opinions come with no warranty either expressed or implied. ;)

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Mon Nov 26, 2001 9:16 pm

Yeah, it will be a pretty easy thing to do. If its not included in there, then I will make a hack for it. I also might make it so that if you click on a rank, it will take you to the rank explanation page. I realize this conflicts with someone elses plan to make it so that the rank is part of the name (and clicking will take you to the profile).

Any thoughts? 8)

The Horta

It's just a question!

Post by The Horta » Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:07 am

The FAQ is such a great position to be made into database records. Is this already on the feature list? I haven't been able to find it. I wouldn't dare ask for it, though!

On the constructive front, I recommend adding an FAQ question about the IE 5.5 issue discussed here before, to whit, that auto-login doesn't work without an MSPatch.

Under the question "Why can't I access a forum?" could be a related question "Why can my friend see a forum that doesn't appear for me?". This is notably answered in the first question, but if you don't read carefully, you could easily miss it. On the other hand, it does alert people that there are hidden goodies for them to find.

There are a few grammatical changes I would recommend, but much to bulky to post here. If you're interested, I can send a PM or e-mail with the revised (Americanized) text.

Shantra

Post by Shantra » Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:23 am

My suggestion would be to keep the FAQ as simple as possible.

For example you could make a table with icons/BBcode ++ and short descriptions:
Announcement gif - Short description
Example - BBcode - Short description

Leave out the description of the smilies. I guess the viewer could figure out themself what they meen.

This way we would save a lot of typing, make it easier to read and make it more compact. It would be much easier to translate too!

Lynx

Not sure, but...

Post by Lynx » Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:55 pm

:arrow: I'm interested if you are going to add "Forum Rules" section somewhere. I think it could be really usefull to have it in FAQ...
Just a Freak, emuFreak!

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:50 pm

I don't think that a Forum Rules section should be included, because people will have different rules for their own forums. I think that people should make their own if they want them. The FAQ system is really easy to add to:

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1083

I think they are just trying to narrow down the FAQs that will be common to EVERY board 8)

Kryptik

Post by Kryptik » Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:12 pm

You should make it so admins and mode can change the color of their names. Like on http://vnboards.ign.com

dank

Post by dank » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:54 am

It sounds like the FAQ/ranks suggestion was dropped somewhere along the way, but here's a relevant thread for those still interested:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 974#145974

Dan

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”